School Fish Stocking For 15 Gallon

1. K

KiyoshiWolfe New Member Member

How many schooling fish would i be able to stock in a 15 gallon? I am interested in Black Skirt Tetras but im not sure if they can be in a tank of this size.

And could a 15 gallon possibly ever be a community tank? I was thinking about it but if its too small to be an acceptable community then ill reconsider my options.

Many thanks!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions of the tank? If it is less than 24" I wouldn't keep skirt tetras in it. It can house a community of small fish.

3. m

minervalong Well Known Member Member

Check out the microrasboras like celestial pearl danio, emerald dwarf rasbora, chili rasbora, and would give you a pop of color and would do great in a say school of 10-12. @BottomDweller can you check me on my numbers there? And then you could add some snails and shrimp for the bottom.

4. BottomDweller

Yeah they would be great.Peacock gobies or Asian stone catfish could be added for the bottom of the tank. Sparkling gouramis or small livebearers would make good centrepiece fish.

5. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

I have read that the minimum tank size for a school of black skirt tetras is 20 gallons. You could try guppies or other small livebearers, or the microrasboras suggested above. Good luck and I hope you find some fish you like!

6. OP
    OP
    K

25" x 13.25" x 13.25"

7. BottomDweller

8. OP
    OP
    K

Is this all in the one tank?
    Or are these options?

9. BottomDweller

All in one tank

10. OP
    OP
    K

This would be amazing! Thank you

If i were to do a 20 gallon would tall or long be better?

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

A 20 high wouldn't be any better because it has the same dimensions, but a long would be better.

12. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

You mean same footprint? Only difference I see is height.

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, I meant same footprint.