Scented Candles/incense And Open Top Tanks

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I know the consensus on aerosols is a resounding no, as the particulates can settle in the tanks and essentially poison them. However, does the same principle apply to scented candles and incense?

MaddieTaylah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It should be fine as long as it's not burned right next to the tank & the room has ventilation to let the smoke out.

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see a problem with incense sticks or scented candles near an aquarium. However on a personal belief I think scented candle isn't good for us. IMO it is burning chemicals into our living areas and breathing in chemicals.

Can I suggest using an Essential oil diffuser which is natural and organic?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would be careful of the incense sticks, as well. I use natural japanese incense called shoyeido. You can get them online or at a health food store. An oil diffuser is a great idea!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only thing I'd be wary of with burning candles/joss sticks is if you run an air stone as any chemicals in the air could be taken into the water.
If you just run filters then candles etc are no problem.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Coradee said:
The only thing I'd be wary of with burning candles/joss sticks is if you run an air stone as any chemicals in the air could be taken into the water.
If you just run filters then candles etc are no problem.
Ah, hadn't considered that. I run a sponge filter on a smaller tank in the same room.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads