Scented Candles/incense And Open Top Tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fahn, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I know the consensus on aerosols is a resounding no, as the particulates can settle in the tanks and essentially poison them. However, does the same principle apply to scented candles and incense?

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

It should be fine as long as it's not burned right next to the tank & the room has ventilation to let the smoke out.

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I don't see a problem with incense sticks or scented candles near an aquarium. However on a personal belief I think scented candle isn't good for us. IMO it is burning chemicals into our living areas and breathing in chemicals.

Can I suggest using an Essential oil diffuser which is natural and organic?

4. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I would be careful of the incense sticks, as well. I use natural japanese incense called shoyeido. You can get them online or at a health food store. An oil diffuser is a great idea!

5. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

The only thing I'd be wary of with burning candles/joss sticks is if you run an air stone as any chemicals in the air could be taken into the water.
    If you just run filters then candles etc are no problem.

6. OP
    OP
    Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ah, hadn't considered that. I run a sponge filter on a smaller tank in the same room.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice