Scary Training Session!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by luckdown, May 17, 2018.

1. luckdown

luckdown Well Known Member Member

So Ive been working on training my betta girls to jump on command for about a week now. Last time I gave the command only a couple were really taking to it.

I accidentally just gave them the command and all 8 of them started jumping out of the water. It was terrifying cuz I was not expecting all of them to listen at once omg

I almost think this was a bad idea xD but thankfully they only do it when I ask them to.

These girls are just so eager to please. I'm excited to start bringing in a small hoop for them to jump through. Not sure they'll go for it just yet though.

I'm also super happy they took to their new tank mates well. Specially because those fish have started to copy the girls with swimming into my hands.

They're in with guppy endler hybrids and a swordtail pair in case you're wondering. Everyone's peaceful and happy with no issues at all. Well the swordtails are shy but they've always been that way even in a tank by themselves.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Cool! How did you train them to jump?

3. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Well first I trained them to eat out of my hand. Then I slowly raised the food higher and higher as I fed them. Then once they got that they had to jump to eat from my hand I started pointing before feeding so they'd understand the point meant to jump. It's only been 2 days of pointing so far. They've gone through each step of training really fast.

After this training is finished I'm gonna train them to swim through a hoop. Then after that ask them to jump through it.

I feed small meals two to three times a day on training days so I can train more than just once. And I usually give them one or two break days a week. Cuz idk I like breaks I'm sure they do too. And I've given them a fair bit of time between each thing Ive trained them to do so far to make sure it really stuck with them before moving onto the next thing.

4. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Can you please post a video of it sometime please??:) I would love to see it!!!!

5. OP
    OP
    luckdown

I will try my best to capture it on camera xD I should probably record them swimming into my hand too. It's really fun to watch them do it. Sadly I only have pictures of that thus far. I love when I get all 8 in my hand at once xD

I think I have a video of me playing with my male betta Pluto? He'll chase my finger around in the water then snuggle up to me (oddly enough all but one of my bettas likes being touched)

Attached Files:

6. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

That is so cool!!!:) And adorable!!! Makes me want a betta even more... Hmm.. I have an empty 5 gallon tank just sitting in the closet..:)

7. OP
    OP
    luckdown

I definitely recommend bettas. They're so much fun to have. All but one of mine enjoys play time. But he's an oddball and freaks out if anything enters his water including new food he hasnt tried yet. He just wants to be left alone.

Whenever I first get one though they're pretty shy, but once they warm up to you theyre really loving.

8. K

Keith83 Valued Member Member

I'm trying to train mine time go get me a beer out of the fridge

9. OP
    OP
    luckdown

Oh man that would be amazing lmao.

When I was younger I taught my dog to get me chips from the cabinet. Lazy days <3

(It ended up being a horrible thing to teach him cuz he started stealing food but shhh at least he'd get me chips)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice