Scary Guppy Girl

1. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

So I've been feeding the hybrid guppy/Endler tank a lot less to get them to eat as much fry as possible since I haven't been able to unload these fish on anyone. Still, a handful of fry seem to survive each time. But I got the shock of my life last night after feeding them when I saw a large female chowing down on a male's overly long flag-tail. I think he was still alive, at least he seemed to be wigglying weakly as she dragged him along, chomping the whole way. Ack! I'll stick to Endlers after this!

2. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Guppies will eat those who are dead or dying. It's just what they do! But rarely will they attach and kill another unless there were serious issues in the water.

So I hate to say it but your male was probably injured or sick prior

3. siameseAmethyst

siameseAmethyst Valued Member Member

4. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

It's wasn't uncommon for me if one of my guppies died to have their whole stomach area missing :( it's just what they do! Maybe it's an instinct to stop the body polluting the tank, or maybe it's an instinct to put the fish out of their misery when they are on the brink of death, or maybe it's to get some extra protein.

They don't do it maliciously though I promise :)

5. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

Actually, what's scary is that the male was healthy, just structurally unsound. He was a weak swimmer being, I guess, 1/4 Endler and 3/4 fantail. A bunch of those boys have shrimpy bodies and enormous tails, so they always swim in an oddly pathetic manner. The large female is hunting them :0

6. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

How much to you charge for the fry?

7. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

Price is down to $5 for 25 fish--a mix of males, females, and fry. But I'm sorry, I don't ship.

8. Ms rose

Ooh ok well thanx for getting back to me! That's a great deal for fish I'm surprised you cant rid them

9. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

Yes, it is truly absurd. Yet again, just now, someone who was interested emailed again to say that it's too far to drive. That's why I'm making it cheap, so that it's worth the gas ;)

10. Ms rose

Wow, I think it would be well worth the gas for that price, the type of fish, and their age, but that's just me lol. I wish you all the best luck ridding the fry and for the future and let only tank lol ;)