Experience
More than 10 years
What is your weirdest fish story?

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Back when I still had HOBs on my ten gallon, I would find amano shrimp hanging out inside them. But I’d only ever find them after I went to transport the tank and had the filters all packaged for moving, then went to set them back up again. They would survive a whole three hour and thirty minute drive, plus whatever time it took to get the tank set back up! At any other time, there would be no shrimp in those filters.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Guppygirl88 said:
My weirdest fish story is how my 10” Oscar passed away. My 10” oscar (Clyde) passed away by jumping out of the tank in the middle of the night last year. He was living in a 130 gallon with some other fish, one of which being a 4” flowerhorn. Now what I choose on what to belive is that during the night my flowerhorn spooked my Oscar and he made him jump. However there are some things that don’t add up:
1. There was 0 water on the floor (On that floor water stays for quite a while)
2. The lid wasn’t moved at all since the previous night (which I think it would have be moved a little bit, at least)
3. He was completely wrapped in Christmas paper when I found him (yes there was wrapping paper on the floor, as he did die like a day before Christmas)

Does this count? I still don’t really know what happened, but I feel like I made a somewhat reasonable explanation.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
None of mine are very scary. But they are quite weird.

I had a Synodontis that squeaked when I picked it up to put in the tank. At the same time it stabbed me in my hand with its spines though I didn't even notice the blood or the stinging for a while afterwards as I was so flabbergasted at the squeaking.

I also have a banjo cat that barks when it gets attacked. That was another very bewildering moment.

My biggest goby has a habit of vanishing for days on end only to return when I least expect it to give me the stink eye. I never know when he'll show up or where he'll be. I just notice him staring at me disapprovingly out of the corner of my eye. He's been gone for a while now though I'm sure he's still watching.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A Betta I used to have jumped into my net once

Awaken_Riceball_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It was the 2018 month of Halloween when I was gaming on my laptop and heard a loud obnoxious grind sound coming from my main big ol' aquarium. I turned my head, neck popped, toward the sound to witness a horrific event. The male Apistogramma Agassizii got caught inside of the powerhead and around and around it spun slowly being torn apart. Bits and pieces of the carcass propelled out and circulated throughout the aquarium. Out from shady darkness, the Pleco appeared to consume the meat of the dead, munch munch, it went and all the other fish feasted upon the fallen one before it reached the depths of the unknown. Within a few hours, nature consumed all but the head that I vacuumed away.

That's my story, true event.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
It was the 2018 month of Halloween when I was gaming on my laptop and heard a loud obnoxious grind sound coming from my main big ol' aquarium. I turned my head, neck popped, toward the sound to witness a horrific event. The male Apistogramma Agassizii got caught inside of the powerhead and around and around it spun slowly being torn apart. Bits and pieces of the carcass propelled out and circulated throughout the aquarium. Out from shady darkness, the Pleco appeared to consume the meat of the dead, munch munch, it went and all the other fish feasted upon the fallen one before it reached the depths of the unknown. Within a few hours, nature consumed all but the head that I vacuumed away.

That is the most disturbing thing I have ever read. I would be panicking if I saw that. Sorry man....

Awaken_Riceball_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CaptainAquatics said:
That is the most disturbing thing I have ever read. I would be panicking if I saw that. Sorry man....
My coworkers said the same thing! I was more stunned how the Apisto got inside of the powerhead and how the fish just began to eat something that was alive, then dead. In the end, I put a mesh guard around the powerhead to prevent that incident from occurring in the future.

LadyArtemis

Valued Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, like 6 years or something, I had a gorgeous 80 gallon sumped bowfront reef tank, stocked with coral, volitan lion fish, puffer, clown and lots of inverts and corals. We had a horrible freak storm come through, the likes of which this county hasn’t seen before or since. Fires, tornadoes, downed trees and flooding. We lost power for 2 weeks straight. I had a UPS on the tank but we had never lost power for more than a couple of hours before that storm. The horror comes in trying to save that tank, a battle I lost after a week. Because of the storm, you couldn’t find a generator anywhere on a bet. I was able to save some (not all) of the livestock by driving them over an hour to give them to a LFS that still had power and was willing to help me. I cried over losing that tank, and while I now own a generator (which I’ve used once for a few hours, and not at all otherwise, ofcourse) I haven’t brought myself to do a salt setup since. (also because of the busyness of life rn, but that whole ordeal scarred me too lol)

Moral of the story is, if you have MTS or an elaborate setup, and you DONT have a generator, you know what to ask Santa for this Christmas!!

LadyArtemis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Awaken_Riceball_ said:

Omg that is a true horror story! Hugs! Did you get a diff powerhead after that?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine is not scary but it broke my heart. So much so that it was at least 6 years before I set my tank back up.

We built a new home behind our old one. When we moved over into our new home I left my 55 gallon tank running in the old house. I needed to get a new stand for it before moving it over. I checked on the tank several times a day to make sure all was well.

One night the heater malfunctioned and the temps went so high everyone except one little cory died. I move that little guy over to a 5 gallon tank. He was with me for about 4 more years.

I cleaned the tank. Covered it up and left it setting there until I finally got over the loss of all but one of my fish.

coolusername00

Reaction score
I had a fiddler crab in a 10 gallon tank with easily checkable hiding spaces.

One day, he died. And as I was used to doing, I poked it with a stick to make sure it wasn't a shed. The stick didn't poke through the body, so I thought it was really dead.

So I check under the rock and unplug the filter and toss the dead crab.

About a month later, I'm wrapping presents and I hear a tap tap.... I thought it was the cat. But the cat's sitting by me. I look for the tapping source and it's coming from the crab tank..... It was still alive and tapping on the glass @.@

I did sort of scream.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
coolusername00 said:
I had a fiddler crab in a 10 gallon tank with easily checkable hiding spaces.

One day, he died. And as I was used to doing, I poked it with a stick to make sure it wasn't a shed. The stick didn't poke through the body, so I thought it was really dead.

So I check under the rock and unplug the filter and toss the dead crab.

About a month later, I'm wrapping presents and I hear a tap tap.... I thought it was the cat. But the cat's sitting by me. I look for the tapping source and it's coming from the crab tank..... It was still alive and tapping on the glass @.@

I did sort of scream.
Spoopy....

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Scary, I would say being sleepy and feeding my female bettas in a divided 10 gallon. I went to feed them and put 3 pellets on the same side to each of them. Thats when i realized... they arent supposed to be on the same side!!!! So someone the other night slipped through their divider lol.
And another would be netting my ADF, wow they jump! I thought he was gonna jump right out.

Awaken_Riceball_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LadyArtemis said:
Omg that is a true horror story! Hugs! Did you get a diff powerhead after that?
Definitely a horror story, and I kept the same powerhead. I copied the same idea on how saltwater keeper prevent anemone on the powerhead. I put a mesh screen on the powerhead.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After the 10th sleepless night thanks to my fish...Bronze Cory's to be specific....play fighting, lobbing sand and gravel at the glass and just being generally insomniac lunatics.....I found myself placing my dirty plates in the washing machine that stands beside the dishwasher.....thankfully I realised the error in my aim before turning the dishwasher on (empty) and the washing machine (now full of crockery & cutlery) on instead

I have considered crumbling a sleeping tablet into the aquarium....but decided against that idea and took a couple myself every night, so now the fish can do whatever they want and I get some sleep

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CaptainAquatics said:
was that a typo ? that is gonna be my new favorite word :0

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awaken_Riceball_ said:

eewww o my God Yuck that is probably top ten of the worst things I have ever heard thank-you ha ha but the stuff you can accidently learn from reading these stories is priceless I really would have liked to have seen the look on your face

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Interesting thread. Here's mine...

When I was about 10, we'd just moved to a new house, and this wasn't a simple move... it was the move that left my adult brothers behind in our old home, and brought the man who became my 2nd Dad into the home with us, (it was sad to leave my bros, but exciting to live with Dad who I'd known since before I could remember.) Boy did he spoil me... buying me a waterbed, a puppy, and my very first fish tank. Looking back now, I suppose this all was to aid in the transition to a new family dynamic.

The tank was an acrylic oval, hrmmm, probably less than 5 gallon's. Put in rainbow gravel, some fake plants, a treasure chest bubbler, (no filter, no heater, but it was and still is always pretty warm 'round here), added dechlorinated water then went on down to the LFS... where I found and fell in love with tiny baby turtles. But... this may have been the first time Dad said no to little me, so we came home with 6 neon tetras.

Bet you can guess how that went. All were dead inside of a couple of months. Here's where it gets weird and spooky. Replaced the fish with what I now know was an ADF... who escaped the tank within a few days, and then little me had major trouble sleeping on the new water bed because I was sure that frog was somewhere in my room, and why not the waterbed?? LOL... It's a sad story, but it was so very long ago that I laugh now.

Still love turtles (obvs) but my second tattoo?? A frog! He lives forever with me, on my ankle.

Didn't get another tank until I grew up and moved out, moving in with J, who later became the hubs.:joyful: The 2nd tank was a full-blown reef, completely set up and mature, (if a little ugly by today's standards). We were young and in love... who had money for a reef tank? Not us, but here's the thing about living on a small island in the tropics... everybody has or wants a boat. J had an old broken down boat that he didn't want anymore and our neighbor, who worked at a marina, had this reef tank he didn't want anymore. So, a trade was made, the reef tank for the boat... and this is where I learned a little about tangs, anemones getting caught in overflows, and how difficult it can be to keep my favorite fish... the mandarin dragonette.

Had that 55 gallon reef for almost two years before a big move took us out of Florida. Then, 10 years went by and we were back in FL before our first child came along. When he was 4 yrs. old he was gifted a goldfish, (George for those of you that may remember our dear boy), and crazy Mom still hadn't learned! George came home to 2 gallon's, was quickly upgraded to 10 gallon's, then about as quickly to a 20 gallon long. More years went by and George got sick for the very first time (despite all those early mistakes with him), and that my friends... that's when I found you! Fishlore saved George, giving us two more great years with our #1 fishy friend.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Guppygirl88 said:
When I was feeding my Dwarf Gourami last week he squirted water at my hand, gave me a right scare.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom