Scarlet reef hermit is walking on gsp

MrTropics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My scarlet reef hermit has recently found his spot on top of my green star polyp and has forced it to stay closed for a while now, what should I do?

Malcolm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately get rid of the hermit.

Hermit crabs are not native to the coral reef any way they inhabit the sandy lagoon behind the reef.

We use them as reef janitors but unfortunately they do tend to trample on everything you have.

MrTropics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ahhh that's not what I wanted to hear but OK. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of salt water hobbyists where I live so do you think a LFS would take it?

Malcolm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could try being quite relentless and aggressive about taking him off whenever he gets on there, it MAY dissuade him if you actively knock him off rather than just taking him off, he may get the idea that it is not a good safe place to be.

Failing that then try and find either a SW LFS that will take him or euthanize him

MrTropics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OK I will for sure try that method and if that fails I'll look super hard to find a new home for it. Thanks

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi MrTropics,
Do you have a fuge? You could move the hermit to the fuge until you find a home for it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom