Scarlet Badis

1. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Just saw my LFS said that they had these guys in today. Had to look them up and they are really pretty fish! I keep feeling like I could have had more colorful fish for my stocking. I'm almost done stocking my main tank so I would have to have a new tank for them. Does anyone have these little guys? What are their requirements?

2. James17 Well Known Member Member

Time for another tank, LOL, Someone will get back to you soon, several people have them.

3. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

I keep a pair in my 4g. They're great fish, and their colors really show when they fight (It's nothing serious, they just flare up). The only have two special requirements. They have to be fed frozen foods like bloodworms, daphnia, etc... Mysis and other frozen foods of similar size are too large for the badis to eat. I was lucky enough to find two that were on flakes, and ironically they wouldn't eat any frozen foods. The other requirement is plants. Plants break their line of sight and prevent them from fighting. They do best in heavily planted tanks.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. James17 Well Known Member Member

They sure are pretty, I might have to get a couple for my twenty.

5. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

Is it heavily planted?

6. James17 Well Known Member Member

Yea, planted pretty good.

7. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

They'll get rough with eachother if it isn't. Depending on how well it's planted, you could do 4-8, with 4 Badis being lightly planted, and 8 being very heavily planted.

8. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The only "tricky" requirement is their food. I put it in brackets because keeping live cultures isnt really tricky.

9. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Ugh. They're all I want in life. I've never seen them in a store before :(

10. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

There's another lesser known color variation of the scarlet badis, called the black tiger dario I believe.

11. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

Aquaticarts.com has them for sale, and for a good price too.
    Those are going to be nearly impossible to find.

12. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I've been told that you can keep 6 (1 male 5 females) in a 10 gallon. If you plant heavily MAYBE 2 males and 4 females. I'm not sure about that last part though. The hard part will be finding a supplier that has females. Apparently they can be quite rare. I would like to have a group one day myself.

13. James17 Well Known Member Member

Aquatic Arts has both versions in stock sometimes but it's iffy.
    But they are still out of stock.

14. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Yeah... I'm in a totally different income bracket than most people here (who aren't keeping fish on their parents' budget lol) ...I'm way too poor to order fish online.

There is one fish site that members here use, can't remember the name, that I think has fairly cheap ($20 or so) flat rate shipping, and free over $100, and I have been struggling with the idea of maybe putting in an order at the end of the summer... that way I can hopefully save my tips for the next couple months to have an excuse as to why I can afford it! And I could order like 20 ember tetras, a couple scarlet badis and a decent group of shrimp, maybe another bamboo shrimp, I really would love another one of those... aaaand now I'm just fantasizing out loud in the form of a totally shameless threadjack. All I was trying to say is I'm poor, lol.

15. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

It's not that females are rare. When multiple males are in the same tank, the males that aren't dominant take on the look of a female so the dominant male doesn't mess with them. So it makes it hard to guarantee their sex if ordered online or something. I'd absolutely love to keep these guys so I've done a lot of research lol.

16. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Oh, I wish I could! I'm pretty crazed right now with my 54, 10, and 10 QT....and 2 little kids. lol They keep me busy! Oh, and my sister is getting married in a couple of weeks so up to my eyeballs in wedding stuff!

@Stephen Hiatt thank you for showing off your fish! They look so much better compared to the pics that my LFS posted on their Facebook page. But, they did say they just got them in, so they probably are pretty stressed out. Well, I guess this is another fish I will just have to add to my dream list. :)

Hey, isn't Fishlore about fantasizing about fish we don't have....yet. ;)

17. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Aahahaha, it is... and of course, rationalizing our obsessions and addictions with fellow addicts...

Are you red lored amazon because you have a red lored amazon??

18. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Yep! I have a 24 year old red lored amazon.

19. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Yay!! You must also be a crazy bird person!! A fellow parront!! LOL :) I have three conures (two green cheeks and a half moon) and an old man cockatiel and they run my life. Dreaming of my perfect amazon, eclectus or macaw, but a beak that big and strong will have to wait until my daughter's fingers are bigger and wiser (or she moves out), and until I have a bigger place as those wingbeats would be knocking stuff off my walls. I can barely keep up with the 70 gram demons I have anyway!! Very envious of you though. Have you had him all his life?

20. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

So fun! :) When I worked at Petco as a teen we had a green cheek conure that bit me up all the time! He was so smart looking around with those little black eyes; you could tell he was always planning his next move. lol We've had him since he was one year old. We were looking at different bird shows around Indy and he was at every single one. Nobody wanted him since he bit all the time (he still does). So we ended up getting him. :) We had a red lored before him but we couldn't take Scooter with us when we moved from Florida to Indiana; so we ended up getting Rickie a few years later.

Yeah, those beaks are crazy strong! The issue with amazon parrots is that they turn in an instant and bite you. That's why I never, ever, ever put one on my shoulder. My uncle's friend had one bite them in their eye and they lost it from the damage. I think the bird got excited/scared from a flag flapping and that was the trigger for the attack.

Anywho, getting back to the original topic, I think that I may have to create a new thread for @MissRuthless and other fellow bird lovers can chat! @Stephen Hiatt how big are they and what temp do you keep them at? I was reading that they should only be kept in a species only tank, is that true?