Scarlet Badis

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SunReign, Apr 7, 2017.

1. SunReign

SunReignValued MemberMember

Soooo I was thinking about getting sparkling gouramis for my tank.... but I found some scarlet badis at Petco that I've been looking for quite a while. They're gorgeous! The tank has had a few technical issues, though not major or catastrophic, so I'm going to wait a few days for everything to settle down.

I have a shoal of ember tetras in my 10g planted tank. How many scarlet badis(es?) would be the best for my tank?

2. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Er... You found Scarlet Badis at Petco???!

So couple things on them.

1. Plant the tank heavy.
    2. Have a stable food supply.
    3. Females should out number males or have at least 3 males. They are very like cichlids.

3. OP
    OP
    SunReign

Yes, I did!! I was surprised too — they were kept in a pretty bookshelf tank with sakura grade cherry shrimps & orange shrimps. Said Petco has ram cichlids, ember tetras, puffers, arowana, and obscure fish; I don't know what I've done to be blessed.

Are badis sensitive to tannins, by any chance?

4. ashenwelt

I actually don't know any fish that is. I am actually planning a five for some dario dario myself. They cover a huge range comfortably.

Personally I am a believer that tanins tend to help fish heal... But I am a long term cichlid guy so...

5. OP
    OP
    SunReign

I doubt I'll be able to find any females. Could I have just 2 or 3 males?

6. ashenwelt

3 is better than 2. It lowers aggression or actually spreads it around.

7. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamperWell Known MemberMember

They can be super finnicky eaters just a heads up. I had kind of a hard time keeping mine because I don't have access to daphia or other tiny live foods, no one local has them near me.

8. OP
    OP
    SunReign

9. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeperValued MemberMember

I would believe so. I havent met any fish that wont except frozen food.

10. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I have. ;)Some fish need to see the movement to trigger the attack reaction.

Easiest thing is to keep microworms or a regular hatch container of brine shrimp nauplii for Dario.

11. ashenwelt

I have actually wondered about how you could seed a tank for microfauna to keep these little guys happy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice