Scarlet Badis tankmate ideas?

tress29

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I started out with a male and two females in my 5 gallon tank, but lost one female after a few weeks. Now, months later, I decided to try another female, to round out the trio. Alas, she didn't even survive the warranty period. Since she seemed rather healthy I wondered if my pair resented the "interloper?"

I'm wishing I could put something else in the tank with them. I've never had dwarf cories and wondered if a trio would be too much or if I could try some small shrimp.

Anyone kept anything with their badis? Or should I leave them be? There are plenty of MTS but I only see them after lights out. And even then, I'm trying to grab the largest ones to feed the assassin snail!

snakestorm526

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep emerald rasboras, CPDs, dwarf cories, ember tetras, RCS, and guppies with my four. But I have them all in a 60 gallon tank. They all get along fine. Maybe you can do a scaled down quantity of one of those types.

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I so rarely see Badis available that I would concentrate on them, and definitely give them a larger tank. Adding another female rarely leads to aggression issues, or at least, I have found that to be so.------rick

tress29

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really want to change out the substrate. I have sand, which I like for the plants, but it's clay colored. Not enough color contrast with the red/red striped fish.

TheBettaBar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Basically, just two things to rule out: fish that will eat the badis , and fish that will out compete them for food (aka livebearers). Some Hara jerdoni or a nano rasboras species would be my picks for a 5 gal.

tress29

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What nano rasboras are more top swimmers? I've had CPDs before, in fact one straggler is still in with the WCMMs. But they are middle-bottom swimmers, like the scarlet badis.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom