Scarlet Badis tank stocking

CrisisQuaid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey guys, I recently got a young scarlet Badis in my 5 gallon tank. I’ve been thinking of what else to put in. I was thinking about 2 sparkling gouramis, and maybe a few blue velvet shrimp. The tank will be heavily planted and well fed to minimize aggression. I’ve heard Badis will eat baby shrimp, but have heard nothing on adult shrimp. Do you think my Badis would eat shrimp that have grown up? Also will sparkling gouramis be suitable tank mates?

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sparkling gouramis and scarlet badis won't be compatible within that small of a tank imo. Shrimp might work, though you may have wanted to start a shrimp colony before the scarlet badis, so that their population had time to grow. Scarlet badis will sometimes eat adult shrimp so be cautious.

CrisisQuaid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
RyanC14 said:
Sparkling gouramis and scarlet badis won't be compatible within that small of a tank imo. Shrimp might work, though you may have wanted to start a shrimp colony before the scarlet badis, so that their population had time to grow. Scarlet badis will sometimes eat adult shrimp so be cautious.
Maybe the Gertrude Rainbowfish? They stay pretty small and are non aggressive I am told. Or is it a matter of the Badis being aggressive?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Scarlet badis by itself is the best stock. Scarlet badis do better with their own kind and they need live/frozen foods because they are so shy/small.

CrisisQuaid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FinalFins said:
Scarlet badis by itself is the best stock. Scarlet badis do better with their own kind and they need live/frozen foods because they are so shy/small.
I would love to do a breeding pair but females are apparently super rare. My buddy also told me that makes get aggressive toward eachother, otherwise I’d probably do that.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Only 1 badis can go to a 5 gallon. 10 gallon for male and harem of females and 20 gallon long for 2 males and harem of females.

CrisisQuaid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FinalFins said:
Only 1 badis can go to a 5 gallon. 10 gallon for male and harem of females and 20 gallon long for 2 males and harem of females.
Okay, is there anything that you would suggest I could put in with my Badis?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Nothing. Too small of a tank plus badis should only be in species tanks to ensure them coming out more often.

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:
Not all. CPDs, small plecos and otos are said to be the only shrimp safe fish. but the CPDs and small plecos may go for shrimplets.
Personally, my betta, platies and neon tetras have never gone after my tiny ghost shrimplets. It may just depend on the fish's temperament and how often they're fed.

CrisisQuaid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
tjander said:
All fish will go after shrimp. IMO if you want shrimp do a species only shrimp tank if you want fish go fish.
FinalFins said:
Nothing. Too small of a tank plus badis should only be in species tanks to ensure them coming out more often.
you seem to know a fair amount about Badis. Mine does not seem too keen on eat the Daphnia that I have been providing him. He makes a couple of movements that look a little like him eating, but it’s hard to tell since he’s so shy. I’ve only had him like 4 days now. Should I be worried? Should I feed him something else? If so, what else?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait a bit. Many fish don't eat when introduced to a new environment. Is it frozen or live daphnia?

If frozen you need to add nutrient supplements to the food, frozen food has like, NO NUTRIENTS IN IT.

Also, Seachem's GarlicGuard is good. Fish love the smell of garlic. soak the food in that then feed.

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Frozen food having less nutrients than live is supposedly a myth. Though badis are rather picky and prefer (and in some cases only eat) live food.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 5 badis in a 20 gallon tank. I think 3 males and 2 females. Mine do great and I have them with danios, and tetras.
I feed frozen foods only and they eat pretty much all the frozen food I through at them. Mines favorites are daphnia, but they eat rotifers, coral gumbo, cyclops, BBS, they don’t care for blood worms though.
mine are not shy at all and out nearly all the time. They pop in and out of their rock crevices or hang out at plant bases. They are my favorite fish honestly.
I have them with shrimp and they don’t bother shrimp at all. My shrimp are 1/4-1/2”.

CrisisQuaid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
tjander said:
All fish will go after shrimp. IMO if you want shrimp do a species only shrimp tank if you want fish go fish.
FinalFins said:
Wait a bit. Many fish don't eat when introduced to a new environment. Is it frozen or live daphnia?

If frozen you need to add nutrient supplements to the food, frozen food has like, NO NUTRIENTS IN IT.

Also, Seachem's GarlicGuard is good. Fish love the smell of garlic. soak the food in that then feed.
Gotcha, thank you. I’m working on the tank today because my plants are growing holes in the leaves, and a few of my shrimp have already died. Starting to remember why I moved to saltwater. It’s so much easier

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
CrisisQuaid said:
Gotcha, thank you. I’m working on the tank today because my plants are growing holes in the leaves, and a few of my shrimp have already died. Starting to remember why I moved to saltwater. It’s so much easier
I’m unsure as to why you think saltwater fish are easier than freshwater. I can do freshwater fish in my sleep. Saltwater fish some are easy some a near impossible to keep. Look at a tang the wrong way and it’s like a pimply teenager with ich.

As for frozen fish food not being nutritious compared to live foods. First love food is only as good as what you have fed them recently. Love food is very hard to get a wide variety of it.
Frozen foods are gut loaded before flash freezing to preserve nutrition and vitamins. Also it’s a great way to get a wide variety of foods.
All I can say about frozen foods is I’ve used high quality frozen foods for the last 22-23 year pretty much exclusively and I had nothing but great success. My fish are active, healthy, long lived, and best of all show great colors.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom