Scarlet Badis In Alkaline Water? And Stocking Questions

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Paper Spiders, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Paper Spiders

Paper SpidersValued MemberMember

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I very badly want to redo my 20g long. It is a heavily planted aquarium, and I was going to give the current occupants (14 kulhi loaches, and 10 pygmy cories) to my friends 50g tank. I want to tear out the whole thing, and re-scape it.

I've been wanting to stock this tank with Scarlet Badis for a while. I already have my daphnia culture, and have been eyeing those little guys for months. I was going to see if they would be ok sharing space with the kulhis, or they could have the tank to themselves. I just realized though, they they prefer soft water, which is certainly NOT what I have. The fish store guys say they'll be fine, but I dont wanna trust them. Does anyone have any experience keeping these guys in hard water?

2nd question: Resigning myself to the idea that my Badis tank may not happen, are there any other tiny, oddball charismatic fish that would like a heavily planted tank? I like the micro predators. I'm not so into the schoolers. The German Blue rams and Electric blue rams I love also want soft water, so I'm running out of ideas. D:

Thank you

2. Seasoldier

SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

Hi, when you say you have hard water what's your actual ph & gh?

3. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

This will sound terrible, but I dont routinely test for Gh. My Ph averages at 7.8, and I remember the Gh being pretty high also.

Looking at my local water report, dissolved calcium carbonate is 261 ppm on average, which would give me a gh of 14.5

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
  4. Seasoldier

They'll be OK in a gh up to 15 & ph 6 to 8 as long as the levels are stable, you should be OK with them.

5. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

Yesss. All of my dreams are realized.

6. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Valued MemberMember

7. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

I do enjoy the sparkling gouramis. Every time I see the scarlet badis though, I get so excited! The LFS has them in a tank with these surface fish that look like tiny, silver gars. No idea what they are, but I might pick up some of them too!

8. Seasoldier

Be careful what you put in as tank mates, although they're micro-predators they're also quite shy timid fish & can easily be out competed for food & can starve.

9. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

Yeah, I need to do some research before I by the mystery tiny gars, but they claim that they've had no issues with them all sharing space. I originally intended this to be a species only tank, with the possibility of the kulhi loaches.

10. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

I found the fish I thought looked like a gar! It's a gold wrestling halfbeak, a surface dweller that is peaceful to other tankmates. Would that be OK with a few Dario Dario?

11. Seasoldier

Hi, just looked these up & most articles say they're better in brackish water but can be kept in harder freshwater also, they're peaceful but males will spar with other males of its own kind but should be OK to keep with Darios.