Scarlet Badis In Alkaline Water? And Stocking Questions

Paper Spiders

Reaction score
I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I very badly want to redo my 20 gallon long. It is a heavily planted aquarium, and I was going to give the current occupants (14 kulhI loaches, and 10 pygmy cories) to my friends 50 gallon tank. I want to tear out the whole thing, and re-scape it.

I've been wanting to stock this tank with Scarlet Badis for a while. I already have my daphnia culture, and have been eyeing those little guys for months. I was going to see if they would be ok sharing space with the kulhis, or they could have the tank to themselves. I just realized though, they they prefer soft water, which is certainly NOT what I have. The fish store guys say they'll be fine, but I don't wanna trust them. Does anyone have any experience keeping these guys in hard water?

2nd question: Resigning myself to the idea that my Badis tank may not happen, are there any other tiny, oddball charismatic fish that would like a heavily planted tank? I like the micro predators. I'm not so into the schoolers. The German Blue rams and Electric blue rams I love also want soft water, so I'm running out of ideas. D:

Thank you

OP
Paper Spiders

Paper Spiders

Reaction score
This will sound terrible, but I don't routinely test for Gh. My Ph averages at 7.8, and I remember the Gh being pretty high also.

Looking at my local water report, dissolved calcium carbonate is 261 ppm on average, which would give me a gh of 14.5

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Paper Spiders said:
Looking at my local water report, dissolved calcium carbonate is 261 ppm on average, which would give me a gh of 14.5
They'll be OK in a gh up to 15 & ph 6 to 8 as long as the levels are stable, you should be OK with them.

OP
Paper Spiders

Paper Spiders

Reaction score
I do enjoy the sparkling gouramis. Every time I see the scarlet badis though, I get so excited! The LFS has them in a tank with these surface fish that look like tiny, silver gars. No idea what they are, but I might pick up some of them too!

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Paper Spiders said:
I do enjoy the sparkling gouramis. Every time I see the scarlet badis though, I get so excited! The LFS has them in a tank with these surface fish that look like tiny, silver gars. No idea what they are, but I might pick up some of them too!
Be careful what you put in as tank mates, although they're micro-predators they're also quite shy timid fish & can easily be out competed for food & can starve.

OP
Paper Spiders

Paper Spiders

Reaction score
Yeah, I need to do some research before I by the mystery tiny gars, but they claI'm that they've had no issues with them all sharing space. I originally intended this to be a species only tank, with the possibility of the kulhI loaches.

OP
Paper Spiders

Paper Spiders

Reaction score
I found the fish I thought looked like a gar! It's a gold wrestling halfbeak, a surface dweller that is peaceful to other tankmates. Would that be OK with a few Dario Dario?

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Paper Spiders said:
I found the fish I thought looked like a gar! It's a gold wrestling halfbeak, a surface dweller that is peaceful to other tankmates. Would that be OK with a few Dario Dario?
Hi, just looked these up & most articles say they're better in brackish water but can be kept in harder freshwater also, they're peaceful but males will spar with other males of its own kind but should be OK to keep with Darios.

New Threads