Scarlet badis (Dario Dario)

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by Jswin, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

I'm thinking about putting some scarlet badis in my 10 gallon tank. Does anyone know anything about care difficulty/instructions. Also does anyone here breed them?

2. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

They need a densely planted tank they are shy and i think it is a 1 male to 6 female ratio or you can do a single male, a pair (1 male 1 female), or a male with a few females

That's about all I know unfortunately!

3. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I've kept them in the past. They are shy, but beautiful. A planted tank makes them more comfortable. Some people have issues with getting them to eat anything but live food. I never had that problem but you should be aware of it before you get any.

If you are asking if anyone breeds them to find a seller, I can get you some links to people who sell them if you want.

4. OP
    OP
    Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

How many could I put in a 10 gallon? And I've read that they like low current so would a sponge filter suffice?

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'd guess you could put 2, since you got put 1 in a 5.5 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. BDpups

A sponge filter would be fine. 2 males and 6 or 8 females should work if the tank is planted.

7. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

I have a pair in my heavily planted 5.5. Good luck finding a female though, I just got lucky. Mine are not too finicky with food, but my fish in general get live food quite a bit, plus this tank has Copepods in it for them (living in my floating plant roots). The male is pretty aggressive. The female's caudal fin is a little beat up now. And he is constantly chasing her. I have a sponge filter and it's fine.

I think these fish just aren't as popular because of their shyness, size, and just the males look fancy. My male is slightly larger then my female as well. I talked to a member in my fish club that has breed them and says it's not hard to get them mating. It's hard to see the fry, then get them to grow.

8. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

You can put 2 pair in a ten gallon. I would definitely not put 6-8 females in a ten with 2 males, unless you want to watch them die. Males are only tolerant of females in their territory when they want to breed. I like to move breeding pairs to a 5.5 gallon and put some moss in a terra cotta pot pointed to the front. When they spawn, move the pot to a tank overrun with moss.

9. BDpups

Good to know. I have kept the amount I suggested. So what works for one doesn't work for another.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice