Scarlet Badis care?

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You guys know the sound on tiktok that goes “I just did a bad thing”? Yeah, well...

I’d been considering Scarlet Badis for a while, saw some for sale this morning, and took the plunge. Care info on these guys seems a little on the scarcer side, so I want to confirm what Ive read is correct:

1. “Scarlet Badis females are quite rare” - is this true? I know they’re less colorful, so I can see why they’d be less popular but are they rarer?

2. Scarlet Badis are supposedly quite territorial, though it is just the males. The fish I bought were sold as a group of 3 - so if they’re all males, they’ll likely want either a large tank for territories, or separate smaller tank - correct? Or, if #1 is false, is the seller likely to send one male and two females?

3. “Scarlet Badis are fine with small peaceful fish” Would they be okay with CPDs? I believe their temperature ranges overlap

4. “Scarlet Badis are picky/fussy eaters” - is this true? If so, anyone have any particular recommendations that they’ll like? I’ve seen general lists, but if anyone has them and has recommendations I’d love to hear them.

5. “Scarlet Badis naturally prey on small crustaceans” - I’m assuming This one is true - will they eat young ramshorn snails?

I’ll probably have more. Any tips are appreciated! I’m excited to try these guys and just want it to go smoothly :)

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Females are non-existent. Usually from my knowledge they are wild caught and females are usually not collected.

Males are territorial, usually give each male a 10x10 space is usually what I heard. They are fine with small peaceful fish.

They are fussy eaters since they are micropredators, so live or frozen baby brine/daphnia should be their diet until you can wean them to dry microfoods.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
Females are non-existent. Usually from my knowledge they are wild caught and females are usually not collected.

Males are territorial, usually give each male a 10x10 space is usually what I heard. They are fine with small peaceful fish.

They are fussy eaters since they are micropredators, so live or frozen baby brine/daphnia should be their diet until you can wean them to dry microfoods.
Oh, that's a shame. The females are cute!

10 by 10 what? cm? inches?

And I've got some daphnia on hand I can see if they'll take, thanks!

New Threads