Scarlet Badis Biotope - 8 gallon nano

junebug

Just some before and after shots. It's a mess right now, a bunch of plants melted in QT, the hygrophila lost all its leaves, and a java fern disappeared entirely (I suspect I hijacked it for a betta tank and don't remember). Also the QT included a green water culture with scuds, so there's lots of green water algae in the tank, which I'm sure will dissipate over time.

Also the driftwood is floaty. So I weighed it down with rocks which will be removed in the coming few weeks, when the wood is heavy enough to sink on its own.

Before, no substrate, when I was making sure I liked my driftwood idea:

DSCF8010 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8009 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8008 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8007 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8006 (1280x960).jpg

After:

DSCF8016 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8015 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8013 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8012 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8011 (1280x960).jpg

Flora:

Background: Dwarf lily x2, Java fern, Corkscrew Vallisneria x 3, Java moss tree
Midground: Hygrophila Angustifolia (I think), Rotala wallichiI (which has no leaves at present)
Foreground: Marimo x2, java moss
Floating: Hygroryza aristata

Planned additions: Narrow leaf java fern on the arched wood, possibly a crypt or two if I can find species native to the Indian continent (not SrI Lanka, actual India) I may also transfer the rotala angustifolia from my betta tank. It's not doing well in there at all and I'd like to see it grow well.

Fauna:
Scarlet Badis female. Planned male.
Scud colony that I hope survives
Planned low grade RCS colony and rotifiers

APColorado

Very pretty. Can't wait until the plants grow out.

Mamajin

Ok, that just looks awesome!! More pics when the water clears up, please!!

junebug

Glad you guys like it I'm anxious to see what it looks like when the hygroryza aristata roots grow out. Hopefully they'll be catching on the wood to kind of anchor the plant, not let it get pushes around so much by the filter (which is weird on this tank, just so everyone knows. water comes out a giant hole... oddness)

Also a quick google search has revealed the only crypt I'll be able to find that's native to the Indian continent is crypt spiralis. Which is convenient, since you know it's one of the giant crypts and will outgrow this tank.

Meh. Maybe the rotala wallichiI will bounce back and get some leaves. It has great color when it's happy.

junebug

LOL. Okay, the wood is TOTALLY floating now. It dislodged the rocks holding it down and it's all at the top of the tank. It also tore up all the plants with it.

Oh well. I guess in a few days when it sinks, I will just have to put everything back.

Ausfishies

Wow just took a look at scarlet badis, they are beautiful!!! looking great so far

junebug

Yeah, the males are really beautiful. I'm not sure where I want to get mine just yet. Hopefully not a big store. I might call up The Wet Spot and see where they get theirs, as I don't want one of the supercolor ornamental strains, but would prefer a more wild-type coloring.

Might check around aquabid and ebay too. My female is lonely :/ I might even, if I can find females, get two or three more females and two males, have a little breeding group. There's room for it in this tank, the footprint is surprisingly large. And I think (when the wood sinks) the tank bottom will be broken up enough that each male could have his own territory and harem.

junebug

oooh, Cryptocoryne crispatula is looking like a possibility for a centerpiece plant.

Echo

If you do breed some and have extras, I would love to buy a couple off of you! The only ones I could find were on eBay. $36.00 for 6x .5" fish, with $34.42 for one day shipping. Too rich for me right now. :-(

junebug

Yeah, that's The Wet Spot's offer. Though those fish are almost full sized. Seemed kind of steep for a group of 6 unsexed fish, so I checked it out looking for more females. They said they don't guarantee sex (which is silly, these fish are very sexually dimporhic) but tend to have a 2:1 m/f ratio in their groups -.-. I'd rather spend the $15 per fish on ebay and get guaranteed females.

I am hoping to get them to breed, so I will definitely list any fry I have available as soon as they are sexable. I don't want to be one of those people who sells "Mixed sex" badids that are mostly male, so I'll have to wait for them to grow up a bit.

Echo

I thought the price was steep, and the lack of sexing ridiculous. Glad I am not the only one.

It's like selling Dwarf Gouramis or Bettas without sexing them. Um, night and day difference? Huge sexual dimorphism?

I can't wait to see if you end up with fry. I'm going to check locally for the badis, and see if I can get my own breeding set going. Otherwise, I'll have to be patient and hope you get some fry I can buy off you. ^_^

junebug

The Wet Spot doesn't guarantee sex, but I mean you can at least "try". With sexually dimorphic fish, it really shouldn't be a problem.

They are a really good store, I just wish they would learn to properly sex out the fish they sell.

Sarcasm Included

We have a couple of people that breed them in our club, but I am on the other side of the country. If you want, I will see about picking some up at auction, but your looking at overnight deliver costs. I wouldn't risk priority mail at till the weather gets better.

Echo

What part of the country are you in? I might be interested in that myself.

Sarcasm Included

Washington DC metro area.

Lucy

Hey guys and gal take any b/s/t to pm or the b/s/t forum.
Thanks!

Wendigoblue

Can't wait to see it once it's finished!

Schadenfreude

My local store has the Scarlet Badis available and their shipping is pretty reasonable, I think (they are local so I never have to have them ship). Looks like they charge actual shipping +$10. They are 3.99 each and I'm sure they could sex them for you if you email them. They are a really great shop with excellent customer service.

Schadenfreude

Sorry- also it looks like Bob's Tropical Plants has some in stock for 4.50 each. He ships priority mail and will refund you any difference in cost if it ends up being cheaper. I like Bob's. Sometimes I feel like he sells fish that are a bit young to be shipped (just got some CPDs that are REALLY tiny) but his packaging is good and his refund policy is great if some don't make it.

Sarcasm Included

Ok Lucy
I am not selling, was just offering to forward to Junebug.

Lucy

Sarcasm Included said:
Ok Lucy
I am not selling, was just offering to forward to Junebug.

junebug

Schadenfreude I am so jealous. San Jose and the surrounding area has so many amazing fish stores. I have one near me, and I happen to know they have mycobacterium in one of their plumbed systems, so I refuse to buy from them anymore. I mean they are a great store but they're still a store... they're also the only place in town that sells dario dario haha. Figures.

laxdude

would you mind putting up another picture? I'd love to see how your tank is doing. I recently got bit by the badis bug as well. about the same time you were too! here is my setup
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1425555697.374337.jpg

I have frogbit/duckweed ,broad and thin leaf water sprite, two flourishing Amazon swords, some soon to carpet dwarf hairgrass, some najas, anubias, and some honeywort. The badis all adore the tank!

junebug

I thought I had posted these already :/ The internet must have eaten them! Thanks for the reminder laxdude.

DSCF8095 (960x1280).jpg

DSCF8096 (960x1280).jpg

DSCF8097 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8098 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8099 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8100 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8101 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8102 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8103 (1280x960).jpg

Tennesseecowboy

Wow, I love that. What are the dimensions on that tank? It looks really roomy for the size. Those fish are going to be very happy in there!

junebug

It's a halfmoon tank, so dimensions are hard to figure. It does have a really good footprint, though. Plenty of room for a few scarlet badis

junebug

You guys aren't going to think this is the same tank.... LOL. All I did was add two plant species! Water wisteria and blyxa japonica. So far, looking AWESOME.

I do have a hydra infestation, though. I discovered it the other day. My main concern at present is that the hydra are probably murdering a lot of the baby scuds I'm breeding in there as Moo's food source. Reducing the photoperiod is a potential option to get rid of them... I really do kind of like them but I don't want them stealing food from my (very fat) d. dario girl.

Well, with no further ado, here it is!

DSCF8181 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8182 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8183 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8184 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8185 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8187 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8188 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8189 (1280x960).jpg

DSCF8190 (1280x960).jpg

Edit: Mamajin AmazonPassion echi1

(because this thread is so old and you were the ones originally asking for pictures)

junebug

Dangit. Rivieraneo can you fix my photo? For whatever reason, my top photo is sideways. It's not like that on the computer I uploaded it from :/ Help me :3

Sarcasm Included

It should come out right, if you upload it separately then the other pictures. By putting it under it's own tags, it won't force it to fit in the box created with the other element.

Looks good but could use more pictures of Moo.

Dennio

Dude awesome, I'm wanting to do a smalll tank now XD

junebug

Sarcasm Included said:
Looks good but could use more pictures of Moo.
I will tell her you said so LOL. She's so tiny though, even when I see her, sometimes she's gone by the time I can get the camera focused on Macro settings (the only way she shows up in pictures as more than a grey blur is with macro shots). She's very active for such a tiny little thing. I think it's because she gets bored having no one to play with.

For some reason, even when I upload that picture completely separately, it imports it to the site sideways. :/ not sure what that's about. Oh well. Turn your heads sideways and you can see it just fine. LOL.

Wendigoblue

I love that tank! It's beautiful!

I've got hydras in my ten gallon, but they haven't been hurting anything. I will end up scraping them off and trying to culture them though! I just need to hook up my air pump and and try to make some green water. Good luck!

I too would like to see more of Moo! Love her name by the way!

junebug

Moo's name is a side effect of the day I got angry with her for not coming out whenever I was around her with a camera. I yelled at her but she had no name, so I called her "Missy Moo". And the "Moo" part stuck LOL. I'm sure she'll get lost in the mix when I get more females, but for now, she's miss Moo

Wendigoblue

I love it when fish do that! I always have problems with my fish and them not sitting still... At least most of the bettas I've had will sit still, but most other fish are either scared or are too fast.

junebug

Pff my bettas are the worst. They won't sit still when they're flaring and the few times they do sit still, they refuse to flare.

smee82

I gave up trying to take pics of my Dario's a long time ago unless its feeding time.

junebug

Apparently I'm terrible at training fish onto prepared foods. This little gal won't even take frozen worms I'm wiggling in the water. :/ She's a smarty lol.

smee82

My dario's are the same the only eat live food but they will eat frozen blood worms that are falling or floating on top of the water... sometimes if they're really hungry. Luckly my CPD'S and RCS don't mind eating the leftovers.

Wendigoblue

I heard if you have other fish that eat flakes, sometimes during feeding time they will take a few (because they're seeing the others eat it). I'm not sure if you can fully get them to eat flakes unless they were raised on it, but they sure are spoiled!

smee82

If anything ive found they are encouraging my cpds not to eat flake food.

junebug

echi1 said:
I heard if you have other fish that eat flakes, sometimes during feeding time they will take a few (because they're seeing the others eat it). I'm not sure if you can fully get them to eat flakes unless they were raised on it, but they sure are spoiled!
They are highly specialized micro predators with strong hunting instincts. They *can* eat larger food, but most of what they're instinctually inclined to eat is too small for us to even see. That's part of why it's so difficult to train them onto any prepared foods. I figured my best bet was to have an insta-mature tank with a large microfauna population, which I got via heavy planting, introduction of a scud colony on setup, and introduction of a green water/infusoria colony. Moo spends all of her time hunting around the wood and plants for goodies. The only time I feed the tank is when I want to gutload the scuds.

dsb1010

Wow! Beautiful tank junebug! I love the plants!

junebug

dsb1010 said:
Wow! Beautiful tank junebug! I love the plants!
Thank you

I really like the way this one turned out. I just need to get the driftwood fully waterlogged so I don't have to use one piece to hold the other down LOL. I want my tree to be a tree again!

dsb1010

Lol! I had a piece of driftwood in my aquarium that didn't ever want to stay down. Finally I drilled a screw into it, added a suction cup, and suctioned the bottom of it to the glass. Out of site. Never floated again. I would never recommend it. It was more work than it was worth lol!

laxdude

I have a piece for my 20 that has been boiled 5x, kept in a bucket for 1 week, and in my 40 for 3 weeks. I'm losing hope...

Wendigoblue

Some times it takes awhile! I had to hold down a few of my wood pieces with rocks. If there fully submerged it seems to help! Good luck!

APColorado

Awesome tank

junebug

Thank you! I'm treating with nitrofurazone right now for a columnarisy looking infection on Moo's caudal penduncle. That stuff already murdered the hydra, whom I suspect are responsible for the infection via stinging, so now I'm just hoping it doesn't kill off the plants and scuds :/ So far so good in that department lol.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom