Scarlet Badis and Blue Angels

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I plan to have a 70g tank.

I have a 4" tall blue angelfish which I want to keep as the centre piece of the tank.

Now question is , if I properly plant the tank, will I be able to release a few, say 5-6 scarlet badis?

I also plan on neons or cardinals, and maybe Kuhli loaches...

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
They might be okay, pretty small though, depending on size they may end up as expensive feeders. . .

also, and this may just be me but, I would say no to the kuhlis unless maybe you have a ton of them. I had a couple in my planted 75 gal and never saw them. . . Like not until I drained the tank.. .

OP
Ken Kanatsu

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My tank dimensions are 3ft x 2ft x 1.5ft,

So... if I use a big piece of wood and plant densely, would they be alright?

Also, i see net saying neons can be eaten by angels, but honestly I don't see how...

Are hillstream loaches going to do fine?
What about shrimp?

I plan to have a sump

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ken Kanatsu said:
My tank dimensions are 3ft x 2ft x 1.5ft,

So... if I use a big piece of wood and plant densely, would they be alright?

Also, i see net saying neons can be eaten by angels, but honestly I don't see how...

Are hillstream loaches going to do fine?
What about shrimp?

I plan to have a sump
4" is not max size for angels, and a large one can certainly eat neons haha.
Kuhlis are compatible and with a densely planted tank they would be happy but you'd probably never see them.
Hillstream loaches prefer cooler water and higher current than angelfish like. Maybe yoyo loaches would fit your bill better?
With a sump you'll have an overflow, and shrimp are going to end up in the sump.

OP
Ken Kanatsu

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay... so I don't see the largest angelfish in my tank anytime soon.

Also, if i use a mesh to cover my overflow? I know that they can climb, but something?

Also. Intend to keep around 10 kuhlis, also what sort of corries do you suggest?

Also, are neons not going to work at all?

Maybe i can go with bristle nose plecos then?

OP
Ken Kanatsu

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also, in full flare mode, my guy is larger than 5 inch, tall that is

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would suggest amano shrimp. Cherry shrimp will just be eaten by scarlet badis and angels and just about anything that can catch them. Amanos are bigger and will clean the tank better as well.

OP
Ken Kanatsu

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Only if I can find them.

They are very rare here, and a few shops which sell shrimp, sell the costlier planted tank varieties...

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Scarlet badis are quite small, shy and are often out competed. They wouldn't be a good choice for a tank with angels.

OP
Ken Kanatsu

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Feohw said:
Scarlet badis are quite small, shy and are often out competed. They wouldn't be a good choice for a tank with angels.
Sure. I understand.

I will save them for later...

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As for covering the overflow with mesh - I guess you could, but I never recommend it. It's mostly from years of reefkeeping, because you just never know what is going to break loose onside the tank at 3AM...a leaf, for instance...and get sucked perfectly against your overflow grid and then you have a flood. But that's my fear and I don't think it happens all that often. I don't trust plumbing. ;)
Your angel sounds gorgeous I'd love to see a picture.
With Kuhlis, the more the merrier. They love lots of friends.

OP
Ken Kanatsu

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MomeWrath said:
As for covering the overflow with mesh - I guess you could, but I never recommend it. It's mostly from years of reefkeeping, because you just never know what is going to break loose onside the tank at 3AM...a leaf, for instance...and get sucked perfectly against your overflow grid and then you have a flood. But that's my fear and I don't think it happens all that often. I don't trust plumbing. ;)
Your angel sounds gorgeous I'd love to see a picture.
With Kuhlis, the more the merrier. They love lots of friends.
Sure. I brought a pair and they are in my 90g..
I'll separate them, they fight sort of, so yeah...

The lightning in this tank is not the best, and it is not planted, so bear with me till I shift it...
15943957481106426134648281366357.jpg

Left is a blue angel, right is a tuexedo blue...

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive kept scarlett badis in community tank for quite a while now and i believe angels would be to aggressive to keep with them. I never feed mine they only eat what they can hunt (baby shrimp and live daphnia, i used to feed micro worms but the colony crashed and u never got another)and theyre great little fish.

Honestly even as tiny as they are they are the centerpiece of my 110g. If it was me, in a choice between them and angels they would win hands down. But I'm weird i love lots of little fish in big tanks.

The only thing i would add is to get a shrimp colony well established 50+ adults minimum and another source or 2 of live food for them.

OP
Ken Kanatsu

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
smee82 said:
Ive kept scarlett badis in community tank for quite a while now and i believe angels would be to aggressive to keep with them. I never feed mine they only eat what they can hunt (baby shrimp and live daphnia, i used to feed micro worms but the colony crashed and u never got another)and theyre great little fish.

Honestly even as tiny as they are they are the centerpiece of my 110g. If it was me, in a choice between them and angels they would win hands down. But I'm weird i love lots of little fish in big tanks.

The only thing i would add is to get a shrimp colony well established 50+ adults minimum and another source or 2 of live food for them.
With that in mind, how well do they treat mosquito larvae as a prime food source? I hatch them pretty regularly for my cichlid fry ( I also feed them other stuff)..

smee82 said:

How many do you have? Also... what other fish do you have?
Can I get pics?

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive got 4 now, i had 6 but 2 didn't make it. Ive got mine with denison barbs, bolivian rams, cpds, kuhlis, and false julii. I normally only see one or 2 out hunting at a time. I don't have any pics on my phone but ill upload some tomorrow from my pc. I think ive got a nice one of a badis and a cpd chasing each other

OP
Ken Kanatsu

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sure!

Take your
smee82 said:
Ive got 4 now, i had 6 but 2 didn't make it. Ive got mine with denison barbs, bolivian rams, cpds, kuhlis, and false julii. I normally only see one or 2 out hunting at a time. I don't have any pics on my phone but ill upload some tomorrow from my pc. I think ive got a nice one of a badis and a cpd chasing each other
Sure! Take your time...
Denison barbs and rams a lot bigger than badis, I just want to know how are they still centre piece? I always thought the biggest fish were centre piece fish...
Aren't

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ken Kanatsu said:
Sure!

Take your

Sure! Take your time...
Denison barbs and rams a lot bigger than badis, I just want to know how are they still centre piece? I always thought the biggest fish were centre piece fish...
Aren't
A centerpiece is what catches the eye of an observer. Doesn't need to be the biggest fish but the fish (or group of fish) is often the most flashy fish, or the largest fish. It can also be a large group of schooling fish.

OP
Ken Kanatsu

Ken Kanatsu

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FinalFins said:
A centerpiece is what catches the eye of an observer. Doesn't need to be the biggest fish but the fish (or group of fish) is often the most flashy fish, or the largest fish. It can also be a large group of schooling fish.
Ohh. Okay...

New Threads