Scared To Move Forward

Drip&derp

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi my name is chase I’m kinda scared to get into saltwater. I have 5 freshwater tanks and I like to reach outside my comfort zone, but with living creatures at stake I’d rather not risk their lives by jumping into saltwater.

I’m very scared that I may mess up saltwater. I’m only a student and am not able to get any more tanks. I do however have a empty 5 gallon. I was wondering if I could do anything with the tank. I’m working on research but the more opinions the better.
My thoughts were maybe 2 small species. Or some fish/invertebrate that may be able to withstand any mistakes I make as a beginner.

Please throw all criticism at me what’s wrong with my ideas or how it may work as long as your not aggressive I don’t care. I have very little saltwater

Nataku

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As your first saltwater tank starting out with something that small is not a good idea.
A 20 long or larger would be a better choice for a first time saltwater tank.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could do it as an invert only tank (no fish) but it's going to be an awful lot of work for very little reward. A small shrimp and a few hermit crabs could work but that's about it. You could do a single small goby fish but would have to watch the tank like a hawk and do multiple water changes each week. One other thing to note is that USING TAP WATER IS NOT A GOOD OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will have an out of control algae bloom very quickly with treated tapwater in a saltwater tank. You could get an RODI (Reverse Osmosis/De-Ionization) system but given your budget that wouldn't work. Many LFS (Local Fish Stores) that carry saltwater fish give you the option to buy saltwater premix or straight RODI water and then you buy the salt and mix it. You will need a small piece of live rock for your tank as it is a crucial biological filter for saltwater.

My recommendation is to take a look at one of your larger freshwater tanks and seeing which one you would be willing to sacrifice (since budget is very tight). It would open up options for you considerably in a saltwater tank if you could do something with 20 gallons or larger.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom