Scared the fish tank won't hold ...

Matthew7812

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey, guys so my father in law was over this week and was in awe of my fish room/ office. He was in the hobby for years and wants to get back into it. The in-laws recently moved into a smaller house. Now this isn't exactly a fish related question, but I am scared that the floor is not going to be able to hold a 75-125 gallon tank. He asked me to be in charge of getting it all set up for him etc. Does anyone know how to test the floor or of any telltale ways to know if the floor can support this kind of weight? Would placing it against a load-bearing wall help if I could find that? There is a crawl space basement below them and it is a pretty old building (plaster walls) I was thinking of trying to find someone who could check out the house, but I don't even know the kind of person to ask. The last thing I need in my life is the fish tank I built for my father in law to break his new home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well if there is a crawl space you could add a couple support joists. Water weighs 8 lbs a gallon. If it is a “normal” house built to code it should be fine.

GumYu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
sheet of 3/4" thick plywood larger than the stand, and spray painted, would help spread out the weight, and help catch some of the water splashes.

a 75 gallon is about 48" x 18" so you could use a sheet about 72"x30"

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would get under or somehow confirm which way the floor joist are running. it would be better to have the tank perpendicular crossing several joist instead of possibly having it sitting between two joist with the subfloor holding the weight.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom