Scared/paranoid Blood Parrot Cichlid

Snowflace

Reaction score
I have a blood parrot cichlid (salsa) that I got about 10 months ago and is about a year old. When I first got him he was very confident and always very happy, about 3 months ago I walked up behind the tank and scared him by accident and he swam face-first into a rock. Since this, for the past 3 months, he has been very skittish whenever I walk by the tank and speeds away from me while watching me. When I sit down he will still come up all excited and beg for food, he will also take food from my hand, but at all other times he acts scared and is just not his confident happy self. Is this a game to him, or something he could grow out of? How could I get him more comfortable with me in the room with him?

My tank is 75 gallons, I have a hybrid blue-eyed cichlid, a baby severum, 3 molies, a dwarf gourami, and an upside-down catfish that all get along very well.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a blood parrot cichlid (salsa) that I got about 10 months ago and is about a year old. When I first got him he was very confident and always very happy, about 3 months ago I walked up behind the tank and scared him by accident and he swam face-first into a rock. Since this, for the past 3 months, he has been very skittish whenever I walk by the tank and speeds away from me while watching me. When I sit down he will still come up all excited and beg for food, he will also take food from my hand, but at all other times he acts scared and is just not his confident happy self. Is this a game to him, or something he could grow out of? How could I get him more comfortable with me in the room with him?

My tank is 75 gallons, I have a hybrid blue-eyed cichlid, a baby severum, 3 molies, a dwarf gourami, and an upside-down catfish that all get along very well.
I would give it a bit more time, when big fish get spooked like that they remember and try to have that not happen again. I think eventually he will realize it’s just you and calm down.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I try to come at the tank from the front for my blood parrots because one of mine gets really scared and will smash into things or get stuck behind my huge sponge filter. Not sure why she is like this but my other 3 are not. Some I think have had something traumatic happens and they are skittish if you come up from the side of the tank and they aren’t prepared for it. She seems much worse when just turning the lights on or off. Just my experience with my blood parrots. They are also in a 210g tank so it’s not because they don’t have room to escape. Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 73 67.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 17.6%

Top Bottom