Scared Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AshleyBetta, Jun 24, 2016.

1. AshleyBetta

AshleyBettaWell Known MemberMember

Hi my fellow betta enthusiasts :)

So, if you read my last post about my betta being very well behaved with his new tankmates, the good news is that he has continued to be. The bad news is that the little guy seems to be scared of the gourami. He has spent the last couple of days hiding in a hole in the driftwood, which has turned out to be a huge frustration for me because his hiding skills are exquisite and I can never find him when I am doing a fish count.

The thing is, he has absolutely nothing to be scared of! The sweet gourami girl could not care less about him. Yesterday evening he made a rare, brief appearance for feeding time, and both of them were feeding on the surface. Every time she would get near him, he would quickly stop eating and swim away, even though she didn't even so much as look at him and was simply feeding.

What can I do for my poor little betta? I hate to see him like this; he used to be the personality of the tank, always swimming about and coming up to the front of the tank to greet me when I came by. What have you all tried to make fish more at ease?

Would it just be best to move him? I only have a 2.5 gallon available at the moment, and I hate to give him such a big downgrade, and I hate to put any fish in there at all.

2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

What kind of a gourami is she? They're often known to be territorial and your betta may be smart not to engage in a stand-off;)

3. OP
    OP
    AshleyBetta

She's a gold gourami. I really haven't seen her show any signs of being territorial, and she hasn't displayed any signs of aggression towards the betta from what I have seen.

4. Aquaphobia

Can you post a picture of the gourami? How big is she now?

Oh, and what size tank are they in?

5. OP
    OP
    AshleyBetta

IMG_5534.JPG

There is a picture of her (after further research, I'm beginning to think she might be a he?) that I just took. Sorry for the quality, she is not a fan of my phone and kept darting away. She is about 4-5 inches as of now. They are in a 55 gallon tank.

6. Aquaphobia

Males of this species especially are known to be aggressive. If I were you I would get that betta out of there for his own safety.

7. Subha92Valued MemberMember

I should suggest you to pick both Gourami & Betta out of their tank. Change the position of your tank's decorations. Let introduce them again after 30 min one by one (Betta first, Gourami last)
    Put off the light of aquarium for a day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice