scardy cat gourami.... and missing otos

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
good evening fishloreans, wow some awesome advice has been given out lately and so many new people. WELCOME TO YOU ALL!!!! i have been lurking in the wings but there is nothing i can add as it has all been said.. brilliant..
thats you ... now me!
two weeks ago i put in 6 otos to the great advice from people here,had to wait 2 weeks for them as they are not standard order over here. anyways how cute are they!!!

but where are they? when i first put them in they munched hard for two days.. were niggled a little by my rosy barbs but not too bad really. but i have not seen them since are they nocturnal? there is enough hiding spots for them. i am scared to go looking fo them as i dont want to know they are dead? there is definitely enough algae for them to munch on!!!!!!!
AND

my feature fish (no name) dwarf gourami (blue) has been in for two days now and he sits up in the corner of the tank behind the intake pipes (1 each side) and well just chills out there as if he is scared or something????

all parameters are right on tank is 67g with 9 neons, 6 rosy barbs, 6 zebra danios, 6 otos and the gourami( he is the biggest by far ) and fish are still juveniles( inch and a half is the biggest) so i am not overstocked!
where have i gone wrong if i have that is!!!?????

its a pleasure to get your advice as always
regards Dazzler

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, you're going to need to search the tank for the otos, even taking out the decoration if you have to in order to find them. I hope they're not dead, but it's the only way to be sure. I don't believe they're nocturnal and you definitely should have been seeing them at times. Are there any openings in your intake tubes big enough for an oto to slip into? If so, thoroughly check the filter box.

What are your parameters exactly? Do you test using liquid tests or strips? If you're using the strips, I'd recommend a good liquid master kit like the API master freshwater kit for more accurate results. How often & how much are your partial water changes? What is the water temp?

Does the gourami look alright? no loss of color, white dots, or anything different about his looks? Does he go after food & when did you last see him eat? I'm hoping he didn't eat the otos. :-\

Welcome to fishlore and I hope we'll find good news in your tank.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My otos hide constantly....on the underside of leaves, back sides of decor, occasionally on the back pane of glass blending into the backdrop. Rarely are they ever at the front of the tank, though they do occasionally scrub the gravel and the front pane of glass. You should still do a search for them....Otos are very sensitive to travel and to water conditions. Typically their first week or two are the most critical....Once they've survived the first several weeks, chances are good for them to last.

As for the gourami, they are generally shy by nature and territorial. They are top dwellers and generally enjoy high cover. Floating or tall plants may help him to feel safe. A cave will help to for when he feels like hunkering down.....If his appetite is there, chances are he's just looking for someplace private to hide or has found 'his' spot....I also doubt he ate the otos.....My gourami doesn't bother with mine...He'll chase the swordtails once in a while, but that's about all...

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
got home today from work and there he was swimming with all the other kids, go the gourami. i am going to have to buy some long plants for him to chill out in and i think i will build him a special cave to call his home.... hmmm those otos well might be a late night tonight to see if they are out walking the streets late at night being tank cleaners that they are

ripper 1 problem down one to go

thanks guys

dazzler

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom