Scar tissue? What's Going On With My Betta?

wrs2

1A8DF309-36B8-47CF-B0CC-1AD396BDCD7B.jpeg
3DF6A4E6-EE97-48BD-BD38-CB63975D0C7C.jpeg
14840089-5FFE-40AF-B68C-11DAD8744EC3.jpeg
5E2F62D8-853D-4B73-A9DD-18277356865F.jpeg I’ve had Delores for a while and when I got her she had white scales and some thickening of a thin. I thought maybe it was a scar but it keeps getting thicker.... Idk if it’s just scar tissue that keeps building up or if it’s something worse! She acts fine, very active etc.

Just see how it’s all thick looking?? I’ve never seen anything like it before. It is also going up her tail more. I’m including pics from when I got her too!

GouramiGummy
That's very odd... to me that looks like some sort of fungus, have you checked around to see if anyone else has had anything similar like this? Are they acting normal?

wrs2
Everyone else is perfectly fine.
And it’s not like fuzzy or anything like that. Do funguses come in other forms than fuzzy?

Betta10522
You should check your water, make sure the pH levels and other aquarium chemistry is correct, I think it is a fungus. Make sure the filter is working and the temperature is around 75 degrees ferin hight.
You should do more research about what fungus it could be. Do a water change once or twice a week. Make sure you are feeding a good food, I suggest using blood worms, give them once a week to the betta. Hope this helps and she gets better.

Sarah73
Does it feel smooth or stiff?

wrs2
Water in the tank is perfect. When I got her I noticed she had white scales, but thought nothing of it. No one else in the tank has these issues.

If it’s a fungus what would I use to cure it?

I didn’t feel it. If it’s fungus I don’t want to touch it. From looking at it I can tell it’s definitely not fuzzy!

Sarah73
If it's not fuzzy then it's not fungus. Looks like a stone kinda? Your water parameters are rarely perfect. What are the exact water parameters? Just wanna rule out water quality.

wrs2
Well by perfect I mean they are all in the safe range. I would have to check again but last time I checked 3 days ago ammonia was zero as was nitrite. Nitrate was in the safe range but I can’t recall the exact number. I’m out ATM so I can’t go and test.

Mehul
I had something very similar. I fed kanaplex and did a malechite green treatment.

It’s almost gone now and colored up back to normal.

wrs2
She had normal looking scales before, they were just white so I asked earlier and people said it was just a scar. But it’s getting thicker! Should I isolate her from the others in the tank and try to treat her?

And what did you get malechite green in? I googled it and what came up wasn’t fish meds...

Mehul
She had normal looking scales before, they were just white so I asked earlier and people said it was just a scar. But it’s getting thicker! Should I isolate her from the others in the tank and try to treat her?

And what did you get malechite green in? I googled it and what came up wasn’t fish meds...

Yes I would isolate her. Google malechite green fish meds. You should get lots of results. I just did it myself.

But honestly try methylene blue first. It’s a less harsh chemical.

wrs2
Okay I ordered some! I will see how that goes!
I am leaving on vacation in a few days though so should I start treatment as soon as the meds come in or wait until I get home? I’m not sure if starting then stopping will hurt more that waiting!

I am out of tanks though... I wonder if I can keep her in like a smaller plastic bin? I can order a small filter that should work with that. My house is always so hot in the summer too so it wouldn’t need a filter.

Mehul
Filters don’t control temp. Yes maintain mechanical filtration. If it has carbon in it then remove it. You can get filter sponges at the pet store or online. Start the treatment after you come back. BecAuse you will need to dose it like every day for a few days. Just follow the instructions on the bottle.

I hope she gets better!

IHaveADogToo
I can't help but wonder if it's a tumor. I know, it's a weird shape for a tumor, but the coloring and texturing matches up with some betta tumors I've seen before. And if the fish is more than a year old, a tumor becomes more likely.

wrs2
Oh Lord lol I meant to write heater haha! I’ve kept fishfor 15 years so I definitely know it’s not a filter haha

I will probably just buy a sponge filter but I’ve never used one so I will have to google how to set online up!

Mehul
if you mean just a spong insert then just pop it in lol. Add tss. You probably knew that.
But the actual spong filters are easy too. You just need an air pump connected to the little air inlet. Bubbles go out the top and crest suction. But that will need to be seeded. So again use tss or stability or a product of the like.

If possible try to set up the hospital tank and let it cycle first. If not these product say it is safe to use with fish in. But that’s always a little scary to me.

wrs2
I always use TSS+ when starting my tanks and have never had issues so I will probably just use that again!
And I've never used a sponge filter before, only ever HOB, but I do have an air stone.
And for the 'tank' it's probably just going to be like a clear plastic bin. I'm using one for my guppy fry and they are doing fine growing out in it!

Mehul
Sounds like you got a plan!

wrs2
So I put some meds in and the water is still blue 24 hours later. So I’m not sure what to do next, and the instructions don’t say. Do I dose more? Should I do water changes in between treatments?

Mehul
So what exactly does
It say on the bottle

wrs2
It just says 10 drops per gallon or about doing a bath / dip. It doesn't say how long or anything like that.
It's been 3 days and I don't see any change in the growth at all. But she is still swimming around doing very well.

Mehul
It will stay blue and hats ok

Mehul
Typically I Redose and then wait a few more days. Change water do it again then change water and add carbon back. It’s like a 7-10 day process. But it all depends.

wrs2
It's a sponge filter so no carbon haha. BUT I do have an extra HOB with carbon. I am going away for a couple of days so I will just switch filters and let the HOB run while I am away. I had it going in one of my betta tanks, so the 5.5 gallon tank with one betta had one aqua clear 20 and then this azuu filter that goes up to 30 gallons haha. The betta seemed to love the extra flow though, oddly enough!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
grracemarrie
Replies
Views
Dch48
  • Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies