Scales falling off belly?

J16

new to having fish and new to posting so I’m sorry if I don’t explain well
Our black molly, we’ve had her for awhile but not too long. I can’t remember exactly when. Shortly after getting her, her belly began to swell, we thought maybe she was pregnant since we were told she may be, but she quickly grew into it and it didn’t look as swollen anymore. She seemed to be better off than our other molly, but recently I noticed she had a white spot in her belly, I thought it was some fungus or something and the husband said it was easily treatable and he’d get on it. Today I did a deep clean of the tank and moved her to a travel tank (it’s all we had). This let me get a closer look at her belly. It looks like her scales are coming off and she has a raw spot. It looks very serious and I’m worried. I looked into dropsy and she doesn’t have all of the symptoms but she does have a few, I’m worried if it’s dropsy she’s had it for a long time and there’s no hope. Can anyone help identify this and if there’s anything we can do?

symptoms
- white belly with pink center
-Scales seem to be falling off
-hiding more often
-not eating as much
-hanging out near heater
-faces surface
Also has a dull spot in one eye that I noticed while posting

Attachments

• 647F49FB-3084-477E-86C9-982BD5D8F032.jpeg
    647F49FB-3084-477E-86C9-982BD5D8F032.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 52
  • FFEF68D5-9232-4094-907B-832EA4EC5253.jpeg
    FFEF68D5-9232-4094-907B-832EA4EC5253.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 49
  • ACDE68C2-7ECA-4DDE-82E2-9F64A078BFF8.jpeg
    ACDE68C2-7ECA-4DDE-82E2-9F64A078BFF8.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 51
  • D7CF0C43-BC86-497F-93AC-626DE043715C.jpeg
    D7CF0C43-BC86-497F-93AC-626DE043715C.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 48

Blueberrybetta

Deku-Cory

The bloating, ulceration area on her belly, lethargy, and the spot in her eye indicate an internal bacterial infection to me. You'll need to treat it with an antibiotic medication like Erythromycin or Amoxicillin.

Now that's the diagnosis, but we need to figure out why this happened and how to prevent it from happening again. I noticed you answered no in your profile to understanding the nitrogen cycle. Did you cycle the tank before you added her, and if so how did you do it?

CoryBoi

Is that her actually tank or a QT tank ?
What's your tank size and water parameters?
And water conditions

J16

Is that her actually tank or a QT tank ?
What's your tank size and water parameters?
It was just a temp tank while I cleaned the real one, we have a 10gal tank

J16

The bloating, ulceration area on her belly, lethargy, and the spot in her eye indicate an internal bacterial infection to me. You'll need to treat it with an antibiotic medication like Erythromycin or Amoxicillin.

Now that's the diagnosis, but we need to figure out why this happened and how to prevent it from happening again. I noticed you answered no in your profile to understanding the nitrogen cycle. Did you cycle the tank before you added her, and if so how did you do it?
the main tank was cycled yes, we used tetra safe start

J16

What antibiotics would you recommend?

Blueberrybetta

Tetra safe start doesn't cycle a tank.. did you add ammonia and feed the Beneficial bacteria for up to a month ?

I need to know your water parameters to be able to help you at all

Ammonia , nitrite , nitrate, ph ,gh ,kh

Deku-Cory

What antibiotics would you recommend?
API's E.M Erythromycin is the most commonly available effective antibiotic. If anyone tries to sell you on stuff like Melafix or Pimafix, don't fall for it. Those are herbal treatments that only treat minor conditions. This is a full on infection that only true antibiotics can treat.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
Whitewolf
Replies
Views
Valentina544
Replies
Views