Scale Rot Or Missing Flesh

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by HeyIDoWrk, Apr 8, 2017.

1. HeyIDoWrk

HeyIDoWrk New Member Member

Recently I got back into owning pet fish so I decided to buy 2 female Swordtails and noticed a couple of days later that one of my females had a chunk of scales missing, I've never come across Scale Rot or chunks of flesh missing while owning fish, she also "clamps" her fins down most of the time unless she's being fed.

2017-04-08 00.52.38.jpg

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Weird. I am very fond of methylene blue baths and I would treat both of them with it. Not sue what happened there, any way she could have injured herself?

3. OP
    OP
    HeyIDoWrk

No, not that I know of. I don't have any sharp objects in the tank, it may be because she came from Walmart, but her tank mate I bought with her is fine.

Here's a picture of here up close.
    2017-04-08 01.36.01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  4. BeanFish

Oh boy, Walmarts in Mexico don't sell fish but I have heard they are in horrible conditions.
    Just to be sure, you know about the nytrogen cycle and water chemistry right? And you obviously keep it well filtered and heater too?
    Since I can not get you to scrape the fish and send that to a lab to see what exactly happened I would just suggest doing daily 20% water changes to give them the cleanest water possible and I would also suggest giving them methylene blue baths for 5 days. Whenever I give my fish methylene blue baths I dose full strength (2 drops per liter according to my bottle, Instructions may change with yours) add an airstone and leave the fish in there for an hour.

5. OP
    OP
    HeyIDoWrk

Ah, ok. Thank you!

I've isolated her so I could get a good look at her and it seems to be exposed flesh instead of Scale Rot. Should I keep her in quarrentine until she heals?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  6. BeanFish

I would recommend it, yes. That way we are sure there is no cross contamination altough maybe whatever caused it is also in the other fish, so just keep an eye on it.
    For the sick fish just make sure to give her constant water changes and good overall conditions so her recovery is fast.
    Methylene blue baths should cause no problems even if there is flesh and it would make sure the wound doesn't get infected. However monitor your fish carefully during the baths and if you see something odd then just net him back into the hospital tank.

7. OP
    OP
    HeyIDoWrk

Sadly, after all the treatment I gave, she finally succumbed to her injury at 12:04 AM. I did everything I could, but after I saw the spot growing larger, loss of appetite, clamping, shimmying, rapid breathing, and isolation. I knew that she was far too gone, so I placed her in a .7 gallon tank for her to pass peacefully in.

8. BeanFish

Sorry for your loss. It is weird that the spot grew larger. That was not expected.
    How is the other Platy doing?
    I would consider opening up the dead platy to try and see if I can figure out what was wrong. May sound sadistic and inappropiate but you could see it as a learning experience.
    Sometimes you just get bad stock and there is nothing that you can do. At least she passed away peacefully and not cramped in ammonia at walmart.

9. OP
    OP
    HeyIDoWrk

I plan on opening up my Swordtail later today when I get a chance to and as for my other Swordtail, she's fine. The only thing that's wrong with her is that she's pregnant. (Kudos to Walmart)

10. BeanFish

Tell us what you find in the fish, I am curious.
    Maybe you can make some money off the fry, or just enjoy the process of raising them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice