Sbd In Redcap Oranda? Ich? + Fin Rot? Help

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by PoseidonsAquarium, Aug 20, 2019.

1. PoseidonsAquarium

PoseidonsAquariumNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey everyone,

So I recently bought a new Redcap Oranda from a new pet store about four and a half days ago and he seems to have SBD, floating on his left side, tail up. I've been fasting him for 2 days and fed him boiled shelled-peas; which he gladly eats and swims about but then reverts back and doesn't seem to be getting any better. (Along with the frequent 50% water changes).
    He also seems to have two white spots on a pelvic fin, along with fin rot - and to add, he has faint small red dots on his tail + strained red streaks (which I'm hoping is caused by the fin rot and not another thing).
    He can waddle down the and about for a while but when he stops to rest he floats back up, to the point where he looks dead.

I haven't had any fish show these symptoms before, and the others are happily placed in my 6ft tank (might I add they're all completely fine).
    This little guy, however, I haven't placed with the others and is in a "hospital container" (as my hospital tank shattered while I was moving).

He's really small, probably the smallest goldie I've ever owned, so it's hard to find obvious bits and bobs on him. I am quite concerned because I'm not sure if these are all caused by one thing or each different. He has an appetite for the peas.

So I'm curious, should I continue the pea treatment, or could this be something else? I have PimaFix and some people have told me it may help but I'm not sure if I should add it just yet in case it's something different (?). Any suggestions? Water parameters are all good, he wasn't the greatest while in the store.

I'll add photo's of him to try and capture all I'm explaining.

Attached Files:

2. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,477
    Experience:
    2 years
  3. OP
    OP
    PoseidonsAquarium

Ratings:
    +1
    I'll give him an epsom salt bath today and see how it goes and from there if things don't get better I'll vouch for the other options.

could fin rot be a side effect of the sbd? I've never had a problem with sbd before so I'm not entirely sure.
    thank you though :)

4. Skavatar

Ratings:
    +2,477
    Experience:
    2 years
    usually not, but floating out of the water does cause problems with the fins and scales drying out being exposed to the air.

5. OP
    OP
    PoseidonsAquarium

Ratings:
    +1
    I gave him the salt bath but it didn't seem to do anything. Should I continue the Epsom for a few days, along with the peas?

Also, am I able to rub some vaseline or something on his side that's sticking out of the water? will that help prevent his skin drying out?

Sorry for all the questions, I've never experienced this first hand.
    Thank you! :)

6. Skavatar

Ratings:
    +2,477
    Experience:
    2 years
    yes, try a few more epsom salt baths.

not sure about the vaseline. maybe a type of stresscoat. i'll have to do a little research and get back with you.

7. Skavatar

Ratings:
    +2,477
    Experience:
    2 years
  8. OP
    OP
    PoseidonsAquarium

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh neat! I'll definitely have a browse.
    I'm also currently giving him his second salt bath, he seems to be able to balance himself in more of an upright position than always on his side now. So perhaps it's beginning to work? I don't want to get too excited yet haha.

Thank you tho! I'll get back to you in a couple days with an update :)

9. OP
    OP
    PoseidonsAquarium

Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately, he has passed :(
    He looked like he was getting better but I woke up this morning and saw otherwise. I'm not entirely sure what had happened to cause so much distress on the little guy.

Thank you very much though! I've learned quite a bit about situations like these, so if anything similar occurs I'll be able to pick up early signs.

10. TheeLadyG

TheeLadyGWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +596
    Experience:
    1 year
    Aw, sorry to hear about your little guy. All you can do now is head forth armed with new knowledge!

11. Skavatar

Ratings:
    +2,477
    Experience:
    2 years
    sorry for your loss.