Saying Goodbye...a Memorial

Fishstery

I have sad news on this rainy morning.

I've been home from work terribly sick for the past two days, and this has made me feel even worse. My betta named Nugget passed away while I was asleep last night. I can't say it was a surprise, hes been living in a breeder net inside his 5 gallon tank for the past few weeks, because of old age he was blind and eventually had a hard time swimming. So I kept him in the breeder net so he could get air and so I could use it to lift him to the surface to eat. He really was a cool fish.

He was very special to me above my other fish, because my ex boyfriend who I previously lived with would never let me have a fish. After we broke up and I got my own house, my current boyfriend got me a betta fish from petsmart as a Christmas present 2 and a half years ago. I was so smitten, and lovingly named him Nugget because his orange fins reminded me of chicken nuggets lol!! Nugget was who got me into this hobby, my boyfriend always joked around "you wanted ONE FISH!! if I knew it would turn into 5 tanks all over the house I would have gotten you a bag of swedish fish instead!!". Nugget fascinated me and I would sit all night when I got home from work and watched him swim around. He made me realize how personable fish could actually be, he would jump to get pellets I stuck to my finger. He would swim around my hands and "play" with my fingers while I talked to him. Thanks to him being such an amazing fish, I went from a betta and a snail in a 5 gallon to a custom display tank with custom lids, stands, glass lily pipes, canister filters, the works. It's crazy to realize the progress I've made as a fish keeper and aquascaper in the past 2 years. Once I paid good money for a custom lid I realized I must be in the big league of fish keeping now! But I always lovingly look back to the days as a novice, when it was just me and my little Christmas betta...I've lost fish before this but he is the first to go of old age. I'm proud and glad that he went this way. And since he was so special he deserves a written eulogy here on fishlore, to be remembered forever. I decided to give him a special goodbye, I wrapped him tightly in a paper towel, and buried him under some quality potting soil ontop of some saplings in the woods behind my house. I'm hoping the paper towel will biodegrade, and the saplings will grow through it and the potting soil and he will get new life as a flower or tree someday. Rest in peace Nugget, you will always have a place in my heart.

20171210_011010.jpg
20171213_215554.jpg
20171216_074015.jpg
20181213_001329.jpg
20190322_094252.jpg

HelloKittyPowa

I'm sorry for your loss. Such a sweet baby. May he swim in peace. <3

AleksTheFish

I have sad news on this rainy morning.

I've been home from work terribly sick for the past two days, and this has made me feel even worse. My betta named Nugget passed away while I was asleep last night. I can't say it was a surprise, hes been living in a breeder net inside his 5 gallon tank for the past few weeks, because of old age he was blind and eventually had a hard time swimming. So I kept him in the breeder net so he could get air and so I could use it to lift him to the surface to eat. He really was a cool fish.

He was very special to me above my other fish, because my ex boyfriend who I previously lived with would never let me have a fish. After we broke up and I got my own house, my current boyfriend got me a betta fish from petsmart as a Christmas present 2 and a half years ago. I was so smitten, and lovingly named him Nugget because his orange fins reminded me of chicken nuggets lol!! Nugget was who got me into this hobby, my boyfriend always joked around "you wanted ONE FISH!! if I knew it would turn into 5 tanks all over the house I would have gotten you a bag of swedish fish instead!!". Nugget fascinated me and I would sit all night when I got home from work and watched him swim around. He made me realize how personable fish could actually be, he would jump to get pellets I stuck to my finger. He would swim around my hands and "play" with my fingers while I talked to him. Thanks to him being such an amazing fish, I went from a betta and a snail in a 5 gallon to a custom display tank with custom lids, stands, glass lily pipes, canister filters, the works. It's crazy to realize the progress I've made as a fish keeper and aquascaper in the past 2 years. Once I paid good money for a custom lid I realized I must be in the big league of fish keeping now! But I always lovingly look back to the days as a novice, when it was just me and my little Christmas betta...I've lost fish before this but he is the first to go of old age. I'm proud and glad that he went this way. And since he was so special he deserves a written eulogy here on fishlore, to be remembered forever. I decided to give him a special goodbye, I wrapped him tightly in a paper towel, and buried him under some quality potting soil ontop of some saplings in the woods behind my house. I'm hoping the paper towel will biodegrade, and the saplings will grow through it and the potting soil and he will get new life as a flower or tree someday. Rest in peace Nugget, you will always have a place in my heart.

20171210_011010.jpg
20171213_215554.jpg
20171216_074015.jpg
20181213_001329.jpg
20190322_094252.jpg

I feel you, I buried all my past Betta’s, it just didn’t fell right to me to flush them (I also don’t like the idea of pooping in a graveyard). I’m sorry for your loss and SIP Nugget.

Amynnas

my deepest condolences that you lost your friend nugget. May he swim along the rainbow.

Lucy

I'm so sorry.
Nugget was a beautiful boy. He'll be welcomed by the FL bettas that have gone before him and swim free.

Fanatic

I am very sorry to hear of your loss, what a wonderful betta.

Fishstery

Thank you to everyone who gave such kind words about my boy! On a positive note, through his passing he has allowed a new generation of fish to grow in the tank he once called home. The dozen or so killifish fry he was sharing his tank with when he passed will now be able to stay in here until they are ready for their new homes now that they have extra swimming room without the breeder net in there. Fingers crossed I see some plants spurt up at his gravesite throughout the spring time!

Jenay

I'm sorry for your loss. I had a similar betta for almost 8 years. (He liked to be petted.) I lost a different one this week. He was a rescue, struggled for almost 4 years, and this time I couldn't save him.

It's so nice to hear about someone actually having a relationship with a fish. Most people don't believe such a thing can happen. It sounds like Nugget had a wonderful life, and he was lucky to have you.

DoubleDutch

Sorry to hear.

smee82

Sorry for ur loss

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Bruhineedhelp
Replies