Say congrats to the new mommy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
half yorkie half chihuahua, mommy's name is peanut, three boys and one girl, ive claimed the girl and decided to name her oakley, they were born today, anyone have any advice on raising pups? i sure could use it! haha

mind you, mommy isnt even a year old yet, plans to have her spayed are already in the making, we dont need another accident

Attachments

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Too cute Annuez! Thanks for sharing the photos.
Congrats!

Mom knows best when it comes to taking care of the pups. Try to relax and enjoy.

Ken

OP
A

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ill try and post some pics of im sometime soon, and the only reason i ask is because shes deathly thin, ive done some research and apparently shes supposed to still be a very healthy weight after she delivers the puppies, so im worried, the pups are doing fine, very little whining so thats a good sign, i cant wait till theyre old enough to be hugged, haha

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not a dog expert but at less then a year those pups would have put alot of strain on her. I'm not sure what you're feeding her but lots of high quality high energy food should help her recover and will give the pups a boost as well...

OP
A

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i had my girlfriend look up info on everything that had to do with this, a website she read suggessted she be fed puppy food so im feeding her iams puppy food, the canned kind, seems much more pallatble that dry food in her current state, it was that other darn dog! *his name is chino* he put her into early heat and did this to her, darn dog! he hasnt been fixed cause my mom wanted to breed purebred Yorkies an hes AKC 100 Yorkshire Terierr, so, this is what happen, haha poor peanut, i just hope all four of them and her make it through this,

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many years ago we bred Labrador retrievers and our vet advised us to give our female an egg a day along with her normal dog food after giving birth and lots of fresh water. Changing their food suddenly can give them diahrrea and she doesn't need that
You could probably call a vet and they could advise you as how to proceed.
Spaying is the safest way to prevent any more surprises
Carol

Last edited:
OP
A

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks for the suggestion! the article my gf looked up said something about an egg yolk and i put one in a bowl with pet digestible milk for a day till i went out and bought the puppy food, shes starting to get back to her normal overlyspaztic self again, shes gaining weight slowly and the puppies get more plump as the days go on, so, this is great, and trust me, thats on my list of things to do, poor girl wasnt even a year old *sympathy*

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey there!!!!!! Congrats on the babies......I breed pekingese...just thought Id tell ya what I do....as soon as 1 of my females gets bred...I start feeding high quality PUPPY food...she gets this the entire time up until babies are weaned,I also use either enervite or nutrical(fantastic vitamin supplement),once the babies start to get teeth(about 3 weeks or so)...I use the same puppy food but I warm it up in the micro(to get it soft...)then gradually start letting it be harder and harder(less moistened) as they age...it helps them cut the teeth...I feed my pups at least 4x's a day(this helps momma).....When the babies are ready to be re-homed...I WILL NOT allow any of them to go to new owner unless they also purchase the enervite or nutrical...(very small dogs can have sugar drops and even die without enough nutrition)..I recomend to the new people to use to often as a supplement(pups love it too)....just in case the baby doesnt eat as much as it should for a few days,I also handle my babies from the minute they take a breath....my moms dont seem to mind and I think it makes the babies even more personable....lol.....other than that I keep all bedding very clean...and let momma do her thing...good luck...theyll all be fine....im sure of it!!!!!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it was that other darn dog! *his name is chino* he put her into early heat and did this to her, darn dog! he hasnt been fixed cause my mom wanted to breed purebred Yorkies an hes AKC 100 Yorkshire Terierr, so, this is what happen, haha poor peanut, i just hope all four of them and her make it through this,
Although I'd love to step up on my animal rescue soapbox (been involved in dog rescue for over 15 years), I'll curb myself and just ask you to please have peanut spayed as soon as possible and have chino neutered.

I would also bring peanut to the vet, along with the pups to be sure that they are all healthy and that peanut has suffered no ill effects from an unwanted and unplanned for litter. She's still a puppy herself really.

They are very cute and I hope you find them their forever homes.

OP
A

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ive been doing some reading and the consensus seems to be, to have the pups ready for new homes by eight weeks, start weaning them at three weeks, but with suggestions for having them with mom for twelve weeks, when should i start weaning them? tomorrow they will be three weeks, theyre growing immensley! theyre already blinking! haha,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom