Saw this 29 gallon tank on craigslist

1. JennBoss6 Initiate Member

I saw this on craigslist. I'm loving all the fish on there but 29 gallons are way too small for these many fish. Right? If I get it then I will have to get much bigger tank for these fish. http://tulsa.craigslist.org/for/4564590608.html

2. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Shockingly overstocked! Also a lot of possible territory issues.

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

That might be the worst overstock I've ever seen. It's complete insanity. I mean...wow.

4. JennBoss6 Initiate Member

Wow, and. Pleco will grow too big. If I had another bigger tank, I would take them in a heartbeat. Beautiful fish.

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oh my goodness, how many oscars have they got in that tank!?!

6. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

That doesn't even look like a 29g. Those poor, poor fish.

Ehh nevermind, maybe it is a 29, but still.

Holy overstocking, batman!

7. JennBoss6 Initiate Member

3 tiger oscars!

8. JennBoss6 Initiate Member

It does to ,e, my stepdaughter have 30 gallons with 4 glofish (not gold fish)

holy batman!! is correct

9. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Oh my lord! Second worst overstock I've seen. (First being a 10 gal. that had 35+ Tiger Barbs) Also, if those cichlids have to stay together in that small of a setup for much longer, it is going to be World War III!

10. JennBoss6 Initiate Member

I really want to bring them home (sob)

11. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Too bad the dollar per gallon sale is over. There has to be a way to get them a bigger tank for not to pricey. Have you checked out the RAOK section?

12. JennBoss6 Initiate Member

RAOK what? When are those dollar per sales? I'm very newbie ;)

13. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

RAOK = Random Acts of Kindness. It's a subforum here on FL where people give away fish and other tank gear out of the kindness of their hearts. They have cute little contents to determine the winner and the rules are pretty much up to the OP.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/random-acts-kindness-raok/

The $1/gallon sales happen at Petco. Basically, an empty tank (no equipment) is $1 per gallon of water it holds. So a 20g tank is $20. The bigger you go, up to 55g, the more you save. However, the last sale just ended on 07.11 so it'll be awhile before they have another.

14. JennBoss6 Initiate Member

That's really too bad I missed the sales recently!

I looked around on RAOK, seems like there's no tanks to offer for right now.

15. JennBoss6 Initiate Member

I really feel like I want to text her and said I'm not trying to low balling her but this many fish in this small tank? She should be working on finding a bigger tank or re homing those fish for free. I'm willing to take them for free so I can buy bigger tank for those fish..

16. escapay Well Known Member Member

That is definitely overstocked. One of the worst I've seen too. I'd say this is worse then when people tell me they have goldfish with their neon tetras. o_O.

17. Anthony10 Member Member

2nd worst I've seen... The first had 3 Oscars, 10 zebra danios, and a lima-shovel nose cat in a 20gal!

-Anthony

18. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately tanks like that are all too common. Especially on craigslist. I'm amazed the water was clear.

19. Maverick Member Member

You could look around for a temporary tank on there. Maybe one of those plastic swimming pools would work? Any type of food-grade container would work too, provided that it's big enough for whatever filtration system you will use (I've used 5g buckets in the past myself). But it could be a while before you got a large enough tank and filter system for all of 'em... Fish definitley shouldn't be crowded like that... Hope you can get something good worked out for the them. Before somebody else comes along who knows even less about fish than she does and buys them!