Saving tank water for garden?

1. Viriam Karo

Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Do any of you guys save any of your water change water to water your plants with? Every week when I do a water change, I water my plants with the old water--it's got that little bit of nitrogen in it, so my plants love it. I usually fill up my watering cans with the old water, but in between water changes I run out so I end up using new tap water, which I think is a bit of a waste.

(The word water is looking very strange right now.)

I was thinking about getting a rain barrel or something to store my water change water in. Especially for next year, when I'm planning to have some more vegetables growing, because I would definitely run out of water in between water changes then. Have any of you done something like this? Or do you store your water any other way? I'm not really sure where I would put such a rain barrel, either. Do you guys do anything else with your water change water?

If I were really awesome and had more time, money, and my own house, I would totally rig up an aquaponics system...

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi, no I do not save my water but I do use it for plants and such when I am changing water. That is a great idea and I do wonder if you would have to aerate it somehow?
    I too would love to have an aquaponics.

3. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I was saving old tank water in large garbage cans outdoors and watering the yard with it. Warning: it can get very smelly and black. I have not been able to do it since I got severe tendinitis this summer. The only problem with the cans, was that siphoning can only work for parts of the yard that are downhill. Just remember to whereupon clothes and garden dates when you do this. There are lots of bacteria in that tank water :)

4. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I don't have many house plants but the ones I do I water with tank water.

5. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

I keep my water and water my rhubarb, tomato and chilli plants with :) also my indoor plants such as my cactus and spider plants :)

6. OP
    OP
    Viriam Karo

Is that just because it's stagnant and warm? It seems to me that it would be the same as a pond, which obviously doesn't get smelly and black.

7. endlercollector

Our air is very dry, so I keep the garbage cans covered to slow down evaporation. The water just stews in there :0

8. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes I have been doing that since I started fishkeeping 2.5 yrs ago.

California is in a serious state of drought right now so it makes even more sense. My garden flourishes from the water too! :)

I don't actually save it though - whatever I take out, I immediately use. I only do a water change every 2 weeks now with my bigger tank ( instead of weekly ) so I may have to think about somehow saving it.

9. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Well, I never thought of that! Our pansies aren't doing too hot all of the sudden. I'll have to try it and see if I can revive them!

10. OP
    OP
    Viriam Karo

Hmmm now I have visions of a fancy DIY irrigation system that has a storage tank with a controlled release and pipes between rows of plants so the water spurts out once a day or whenever I want it to. For now maybe I'll just keep it in buckets outside or something, with an open top. We're pretty humid in the summer. Though I guess those open buckets would attract mosquitos?

(Do aquarium fish eat mosquito larvae?)

11. endlercollector

12. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I haven't yet met a fish that doesn't love a wiggly worm ;)

13. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I save my water for my houseplants.

14. Sayba

Sayba Well Known Member Member

All my plants are strictly tank water plants, it seems to be the best stuff to use. I have never been able to keep plants before and since I started using tank water I've managed to keep a bonsai tree alive.

15. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Actually there's hardly any bacteria in tank water, unless you include a hoovering if muck or a gravel clean with it. There's surprisingly little nutrients in it either compared to water with plant food added, so if you're using just 'clean' tank water, treat it as water and still add plant food occasionally.

I made a 40 gallon wooden box and lined it with pond liner for the garden. Not because its that good for plants, but because I'd rather use it than tap water. It doesn't smell if you don't have muck in it.