Saving my Java Moss?

1. Daniel W Member Member

Okay, I'm not sure how I almost killed my java moss. Its a yellowish green color which is probably the result to too much heating. Not sure though, but probably is. Ever since I lowered the temperature it seems better but i'm not sure if it is better. And I don't know what to do now. I've changed the temperature to as low as I can get it but its pretty hot this summer. Should I take the java moss and place it in old and cold aquarium water? And how cold should it be?
    Another concern is the fact that my java moss is just strands bound to a bamboo stick. A loosened the strands of course, but my real question is, will the strands grow?

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Are you dosing the tank with aquarium plant supplements? One of them (I can't remember which) isn't especially moss friendly.

What temperature is your tank at? If you find it grows better at a lower temperature, and you want a reserve supply, there would be no harm in setting up a garden tank. Put an airstone and some tank water in a small tank or large glass jar and go to town. Just let it go at room temperature.

Strands of java moss don't have to be attatched to anything to grow, it just makes it easier when they are.

3. Daniel W Member Member

I am not dosing anything and I lowered my tank temperature to below 80. Now its around 76. Before, it was around 86 or higher. Thanks for all the information!

4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Glad to help!

5. Daniel W Member Member

Wait, one more question. Why would I need an airstone?

6. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Things tend to go sour if you don't provide aeration. At least in my experience.

7. Daniel W Member Member

Okay. Thanks. I'll try that :)