Saving Media, Broken Impeller

Tinytail
My Marineland c160 canister filter has been making noise for a few days since my last wc when I unplugged it. I finally got around to opening it up to take a look and it turns out the impeller shaft is broken. The little ceramic thing snapped right in half. I put it back together anyways to run it while I track down a replacement but it doesn’t run at all anymore. I want to keep the media alive in the meantime, do you think I can just float it in the tank? I have two HOBs in addition luckily so I’m thinking the little plastic media balls will float at the top and bounce around in the flow. I’m looking for reassurance that this isn’t a stupid idea lol. Also does anyone have any replacement impeller hacks? I’m not thrilled about spending $13 for a ceramic lollipop stick lol.

Advertisement
Heron
I have had the same part fail twice in a pond pump and the replacement was also very pricey for a ceramic stick. I managed a temporary fix by finding a nail of roughly the right diameter and hacksawing the head and point off. It was noisey but it kept going until I got a new pump under warranty ( they wouldn't replace the part under warranty so they replaced the whole pump ). Before I posted the old pump back I removed the nail so they couldn't say I had invalidated it with my fix.
As for keeping media alive you should be fine as long as it stays damp and has some air. I have kept media alive for days in a large jar of tank water with an airstone.

kmbeck
Floating the media in the tank will keep the bacteria in the media alive. They will still get ammonia and nitrites from the tank.

Tinytail
Floating the media in the tank will keep the bacteria in the media alive. They will still get ammonia and nitrites from the tank.

Nice. Thanks! I feel better now lol. No one likes a broken filter

Islandvic
While your canister is down, make use of the time and look into replacing the plastic bio-balls with another type if bio-media.

Overall, the total surface are of plastic bio-balls isn't that great, compared to porous bio media like sintered glass, ceramic and pumice rock based media.

Even layers of foam sponge in the tray will help trap additional muck, and provide an immensely larger surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonize on, compared to plastic bio-balls.

Tinytail
While your canister is down, make use of the time and look into replacing the plastic bio-balls with another type if bio-media.

Overall, the total surface are of plastic bio-balls isn't that great, compared to porous bio media like sintered glass, ceramic and pumice rock based media.

Even layers of foam sponge in the tray will help trap additional muck, and provide an immensely larger surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonize on, compared to plastic bio-balls.

Yeah I was always skeptical of the plastic media. I have ceramic rings in the other filters. I have some crushed coral kicking around... but I don’t need higher KH in this tank. I’ll see what I can find at the store!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AndyP
Replies
Views
THRESHER
Replies
Views
Rikkan
  • Question
Replies