saving eggs?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by featherblue, Dec 5, 2012.

1. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

I remember reading a tread about saving neo shrimp eggs lost in a molt. I had a berried orange die today. The eggs are really close to hatching.....how can I save them? Would the theory of ADF tadpole hatching work? Id like to save these little ones if I can

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

You can but it in a nursey making sure there is sufficient circulation I.e. add an airstone

3. OP
    OP
    f

So I read small jar 100% wc everyday for frogs (closest info I could find)

Would I be ok with my current set up, 2 partially filled, floating 2-4oz plastic cups. Syringe to new jar float every day.

Or should I do a bigger jar so I have room to run an air stone? Still 100% wc daily?

4. OP
    OP
    f

So I moved the eggs into a sponge spacer covered with a nylon (eggs fell thru net). They aren't actively moving, bubbles are going around the nylon. Should I stir them a few times a day? Or should they be fine even if they're not bouncing?

5. AmazonPassion

As long as you have great circulation where the eggs are....just remember when they are attached to the mother shrimp she usually fans them. Try to mimic that circulation.

They don't necessarily have to bounce around just adequate movement.

6. OP
    OP
    f

So they're inns small tupperware floating innthe tank, airstone innthe tupp to keep it moving. They seem to get caught in the corner under the airstone every few hours, so I gently shake em to the other side for the slow roll back

7. OP
    OP
    f

Removed one egg this evening. It was white, and larger than yesterday and the others. The little black eyes are more defined today :)

8. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I really hope you have good luck on this!!! I am excited to see little ones ;)

9. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

Good luck I hope all goes well :)

10. OP
    OP
    f

ONE OF THE EGGS HAS HATCHED!!!!!!!!!
    tiny tiny little shrimp......even smaller than the first blues I saw hatched. I couldn't get a pic, too tiny. I'm going to just release it into the tank so it doesn't starve in the egg tumbler. Hopefully the rest will hatch over the next few hours/days :)

11. OP
    OP
    f

Hatchery results:

12 eggs saved to tumble
    7 live shrimplets released into tank
    3 viable eggs dropped into tank (oops, tumble slipped out of my hands)
    2 eggs fuzzy and gross looking

I'm shocked as many survived as they did :)

12. AmazonPassion

Congrats!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice