saved this RES from the Oscars... help

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by monkeypie102, Dec 7, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Went to my LPS today and checked out the fish room, I went originally to pick up some cholla wood for my 2.5g shrimp tank I just bought! Needless to say I didn't get it... anyways, went into the fish room and saw a tank on the far side of the room with 2 HUGE Oscars and 1 equally impressive pleco... then i saw this little rock that i thought looked cool, from a distanse, as i moved closer the rock had a face... the poor turtle was hiding in his shell as far as he could push himself in... endless to say he is now happily swimming in my 26g until i can go back, don't hate me, to the same lfs to pick up a 40g they are selling for $40...

Now I am needing advice about his car... what water temp do they need for water and basking spot? Feeding, I know they eat meat but will they also eat veggies? What is the best food to buy for him? I picked up some Sera Reptil for carnivors but I know he doesn't like it... he looked at it and swam away... can I feed him live food like guppy fry and earthworm, my box turtle loves them...

Also... his shell is sort of hour glasses shaped... i know it is caused from to much protein, I think... is there a way to fix his shell of is to far gone?
    IMG_20121207_133312.jpg
    There he is before i added him to the tank... I am currently adding plants and such so i won't take any pics until it is done, also any plant ideas?
    IMG_20121207_133257.jpg

That's what they used to send him home with me...

2. Daac

Daac Well Known Member Member

Cool turtle. I don't know anything about turtles but some good low maintenance plants are wisteria, any ferns, moss, onions, and I have had great success with Rotala Rotundifolia especially in my dirted tanks.

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Well I have all of those in that case :) I did a little reading and I know they will munch on those plants as well as duckweed and water lettuce and other stuff like that :)

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

What is your long term goal for the turtle? They get huge!! I've got a picture I took of a big one I'm trying to find for you :)

5. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I read males can get 7-9" and female up to a foot... the plan is to setup an out door pond during the summer and in the winter bring him inside to a 40g... I am sure it is a girl so I am expecting a huge turtle...

6. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Here's a little one from the LPS

Somebody dumped it there because they didn't want to take care of it anymore.

7. Daac

Daac Well Known Member Member

Even java ferns? I wouldn't eat a java fern if I was a turtle... wisteria maybe but java ferns don't seem to appetizing.

8. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I haven't read about Java ferns yet but maybe... the site listed some plants and even said most aquatic plants so i would assume

I feel bad for that turtle :( this turtle as i said was with 2 full grown Oscars and at the time weren't being to nice... I bought her for $20 and she has giving me a reason to actually attempt the pond next spring :)

9. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

The list I am looking at shows

Amazon Swords Anacharis* Duckweed* Frogbit Hornwort Nasturtium Pondweed Water Fern* Water Hyacinth* Water Lettuce Water Lily* Water Milfoil Water Starwort

The * mean highly reccomended as food...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice