Saved oscar fear its stunted an deformed

Demontay1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok dont shoot me but i had too save this oscar he was being jept in a cold water environment un a 20 gal aquarium with 8 goldfish and some other cichlids not sure what type tey are i fear he has been stunted and is deformed From this ill informed fish keeper i wish i could have saved all the fish but i couldnt

I have this little well 15cm oscar in my 40 gal atm i know i need to upgrade and i will do it asap but i need ur advice is he sick stunted or just slightly deformed as his mouth sits slightly back in his skull

I dont care if the little guy is sick or deformed he is now my baby and i will treat him like the king he deserved to be in an appropriate tank with appropriate temp parameters ect

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1430199906.013694.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1430200010.252826.jpg

I will upload better pictures of the Oscar when i get home but please opinions and tips on what i can do

i love my fish more than life itself

aHumanBeing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The little guy looks a tad skinny. I'd say you should definitely fatten him up. What's you current feeding schedule, are you adding anything to it's water to help growth? You'll likely be able to prevent any further deformations if you put him in a larger tank by itself.

Demontay1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The owner had him for 3 yrs :,(

Ok so the feeding regime is as follows atm i have been too the petshop purchased hikari gold large floating pellets wich i am feeding 5 atm until i can see his belly fill up that way i will be satisfied he isn't hungry anymore

i will be getting my bf too feed him a shrimp or two bought from the pet shop also too fatten him up i cant feed shrimp sadly as due too my allergies and when i get paid i am going out too buy him hikari gold cichlid frozen food so atm feeding is shrimp and gold pellets as i noticed he was thin the poor fella

Atm i wish i could put him in another tank but my aim right now is too fatten him up an get him happy but i cant use my light he us afraid if it and hides everytime its on i wish i knew what the horrible owner this majestic fish used to have and what he did or didn't do for him

Im also adding prime and stress coat too help him heal he has scuffs in both sides of his body and missing scales

safzola

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ahh he looks sad and thin i dont no much about oscars but im sure in your care he will do great well done for saving him and good luck

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you happen to have access to earthworms that have not been exposed to pest/herb-icides, I have found them to be great food for encouraging growth and weight gain. Also, crickets that have been gut loaded (that is, fed well on a good cricket food with a good vitamin/mineral content) work very well. Either of these tend to be better than feeder fish, as they are more nutritious, given that feeder fish are normally ill fed and lacking in nutrients.
At 3 years of age, it is not reasonable to expect him to reach the size expected of an oscar, but that is no reason that he can't be restored to health. Likewise, while a bit odd looking, his mouth does not appear to my eye, at least, to be something that will cause him great problems.
I believe that his eyes will maintain the appearance of looking too large for his body, but that is nothing to be concerned over.
It's very nice to see that you have not only rescued a fish, but are seeking to rehab him--cheers to you, and well done. rick

Demontay1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanxs mate i didnt even realise his eyes where too big i was just really worried about him having problems with his mouth and that making eating difficult for him but in saying this i have never kept an oscar before but i will rehabilitate too the full extent if my powers and let him live the rest if his life as a happy and proud Oscar

i have named him bruce as he has a real brutish but cute personality hahaha but he hates the kights and in further inspection of his eyes he has a slight white film and im thinking this is the cause too the fear if the light as i think he cant se properly do hopefully i can rehabilitate his eyesight with pristine water

Demontay1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Soo good news hes coming out of his shell swimming around and being a happy fish and coming up when i cone to the tank asking for food instead if hiding

All i can say though is he uses the littke fishy room alot bahahaha never seen so much fish waste in my life lol

Demontay1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes great news his colour is coming back i have just made him a cave and now he is so happy racing up and down the tank following me around i think he has finally realised im here too help him and save him haha and dont ask me y i call the oscar a boy i just feel he is xD

safzola

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Demontay1 said:
Yes great news his colour is coming back i have just made him a cave and now he is so happy racing up and down the tank following me around i think he has finally realised im here too help him and save him haha and dont ask me y i call the oscar a boy i just feel he is xD

ahh wow i bet you are happy well done ..........told you that he would get better in your care ..i bet you feel great that he follows you around .....he loves you for saving him and thats why he is trying to show it by following you ........well good look to you both

Demontay1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am really happy bone of my fish have ever followed me around a room before only when im pretty much in front of the tank when u read they have a personality i was sgocked at how much if a personality they really do have haha

I think he is really happy he looks it its like their is a spark in his eye that wasnt their before

safzola

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Demontay1 said:
I am really happy bone of my fish have ever followed me around a room before only when im pretty much in front of the tank when u read they have a personality i was sgocked at how much if a personality they really do have haha

I think he is really happy he looks it its like their is a spark in his eye that wasnt their before

ahhhh stop making me cry .....i think that is so lovely i bet if he could walk he would follow you around the house lol......what are you calling him ????

Demontay1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Me and my partner affectionately called him Bruce as he looks like mr Grumpy but acts like mr happy haha as my partner says lol.

I bet he would if he could ill upload a video too youtube tomorrow of him all happy for you with him following me around

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom