Saved A Few Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Will170, Aug 2, 2017.

1. W

Will170 Valued Member Member

So long story short, after I became obsessed with owning fish naturally my gf did as well. Shortly after I got my twenty she got herself a 75(she had to out do me lol) she stocked it with 6 or 7 tiger barbs 3 jack Dempseys and a salvini.I tried to explain the nitrogen cycle to her but she told me that growing up her parents never waited and tested the water, so she was determined on filling up the the tank and adding the fish with Tetra safe start(which I guess is hit or miss) within 10 or 11 days she lost all of her barbs , a jack and her salvini wasn't looking so hot 5f97ba6225ff974e4167f6816ae44819.jpg .

The poor guy wouldn't eat and just floated at the top of the tank in the corner all day, the dempseys also weren't doing so well or eating. I knew they weren't eating because when I came over there was food all on the substrate :(

I did some water changes and vacuumed the gravel, bought some plants and another cave or two and tested the water and repeated this over several days, it was quite tedious.

Here we are a week later.

6a90e2a63e70a4a3ab8bc69b994c2b5a.jpg

I'm happy to see all the fish have been eating like it's nobody's business and they have all added colors again and are way more active than they were before .
    I know the fish have had some damage done to them that may have shortened their lives, but Atleast they can all live happy fish lives now.
    My heart is so happy.
    I'm not familiar with salvinis but I think the red colors are natural? Couldn't get a good shot Bc it was chilling in its cave.
    I'm not trying to bash her online, and hope I didn't give off that impression. I just wanted to share the story

2. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

cool. Personally is that was my girl i would have dumped her on the spot since i love animals more than people. I know something is wrong with me:):)

3. OP
    OP
    W

Can't save the fish if I dump her lol
    In all seriousness though I think she just assumed since it's what her parents have done that the fish would be fine

4. shiv234

i don't really know what you mean since my dad was an aquarist before i was born so i never had any errors with fishes

5. OP
    OP
    W

How do you not know what I mean? People pick up on their parents habits. Since your dad was an aquarist you picked up on his habits. So if he wasn't an aquarist, just someone who had fish every now and then but never looked into it a lot I'm sure you might have an error or two?

6. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Everyone screws up every once in a while. Most are just minor, stupid things that are more like annoyances than mistakes.

7. shiv234

well yeah very minor...but not major..guess i should have made it clear

8. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

do you happen to know your current water parameters?

Glad to hear things are getting better.

also the tank was overstocked to begin with 2 jack Dempsey alone in a 75g is to much , only 1 is suitable in a 75g IMO.

9. OP
    OP
    W

0/0/20 according to the masterkit is the parameters of her tank

Do you think with the aggressive nature of Chclids that all of these fish can be placed together?

10. JesseMoreira06

Great that means tank is cycled which is fantastic.

what do you currently have left in the tank?

11. OP
    OP
    W

She currently has the 2 dempseys and the salvini in her 75.
    I'm my own personal tank which is only a 29 I just have some mollies a golden gourami and 3 Pictus
    The Pictus will be moved to the 55 once I have it up and running in the next few months

12. JesseMoreira06

Jack Dempsey are they male and female?

13. OP
    OP
    W

Honestly I haven't looked into telling the sexes apart yet. I've just had a lot on my plate with managing my own tank, work, life in general and the whole fiasco of trying to keep her fish alive

What I can tell you though is over the last few days I've spent a good amount of time watching them since they've been more active and they do not seem to be aggressive towards each other, even at feeding time.

14. shiv234

how you mean...tank the fish and dump she...i saw that on tv once

15. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

Please tell her to take your advice into consideration next time. Pride kills fish - and that's not fair.

16. OP
    OP
    W

Yup I felt so bad for the fish when I first looked at them. The remaining ones just looked like they were trying to hold on with all they've got. If you look at the first pic the fish looks like it's getting ready to flop over. At that moment I told myself that if the fish was fighting this hard to hold onto their lives that I would fight hard to keep them alive

17. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Dude your comments aren't helpful.

18. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

It's not that the comment isn't unhelpful but it's abbot confusing the way he stated it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice