Saved A Betta! Or Did I ? :/

  • Thread starter

Crazyfishguy

Valued Member
Messages
50
Reaction score
28
Points
43
Experience
5 to 10 years
FCDE1497-5D3A-40EE-919B-167C87C8F8D9.jpeg 0BB1141B-6874-4261-AA52-AB7EB6184430.jpeg 53875B7E-15C1-4CAA-98DF-E3A8BC308ACA.jpeg A4E3C3A6-88BB-4E89-862E-7946B550DD6A.jpeg F08B70CE-B16B-4543-9FFC-03B76642FD58.jpeg I was at my LFS yesterday and saw this cute little betta in a cup. I felt pretty bad for him and decided to take him home. He’s in a little tank now, probably about 1.5 Gallon. Still way better than the tiny cup at the store! My question is, will he be happy in here ? I really don’t have the space or the resources to get a larger tank at the moment.

I have some Anubias in there and a tiny H.O.B to keep the water circulating.


EDIT: Updated pictures of the tank. He’s swimming around happily and looks content for now. I will switch to a bigger tank in a couple months . What do you guys think of the setup?

P.s . how do you dose fertilizers for a nano tank?
 

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Messages
1,145
Reaction score
507
Points
133
Experience
More than 10 years
Honestly, that looks like an incredible 1.5 gallon! I would've thought it was much bigger if you hadn't said otherwise!
Personally, I think he'll be fine for now provided you keep the water clean and parameters good. I've kept bettas in waaaayy worse growing up and not knowing better (or betta), and for him to have a filter and live plants despite the tank size? It's definitely better than a cup! But I'd still suggest upgrading ASAP. I got a 5 gallon tub from Walmart for about $5-6, and the dollar per gallon sale at petco is going on, too.

Do you have a heater? What's the temperature, and was it cycled?
 

Wolf010

Valued Member
Messages
235
Reaction score
145
Points
53
Experience
Just started
no. 1.5 gallon is too little. u will want at least a 5 gallon tank for him to be happy. but 2.5 gallon will suffice if u wish to scrape the bear minimum.
 

andrearamirezo91

Well Known Member
Messages
1,306
Reaction score
117
Points
158
Experience
5 years
Hey! I agree that the tank looks super pretty, especially for a 1 gallon! But Like Wolf said you’ll want to go bigger. Their behavior truly does change in a bigger aquarium! I remember the first time I decided to upgrade a betta from a bowl to a big filtered tank (as suggested by people on this forum back in 2011 :rolleyes he looked and acted like a different fish! Not only that but it’ll actually make your maintenance a lot easier. The bigger you go, the easier it is to keep water parameters safe and stable.
 

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Messages
2,026
Reaction score
2,076
Points
298
Experience
2 years
I personally think he will be perfectly fine in there for a good while. Upgrading would be ideal but if you can not for awhile I would not sweat it.
 

treadingwater

Valued Member
Messages
234
Reaction score
201
Points
63
Experience
More than 10 years
TBH each betta is different they have their own personalities and quirks to them. I had mine (Bruce) in a one and a half gallon because he couldn't swim very well AT ALL. His fins are so big and flowy. I felt bad because everyone was saying that betas need more space and because it wasn't lit, you also couldn't see him well. I put him in the "big water" and hes doing pretty ok actually. His body has gotten pretty muscular and he swims all over the place pretty fast for his fin size....but his swimming is tearing his fins. Those are toughening up, too (I had no idea they could do that) and healing beautifully but it was pretty scary for a while because I had one previous to Bruce, Dave, that didn't do well in the big water at all. The stress from being in such a large place killed him. He got very sick in just a few days and I couldn't bring him back. That betta was MUCH happier in a more confined space and I wish I had left him in the small tank.

Like I said, it depends on the fish in my opinion. Most will be happier in a larger tank but some will prefer smaller.
 

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Messages
639
Reaction score
665
Points
128
Experience
4 years
You tank is quite lovely. Nice work! My advice would be to keep your eye out on Craigs list and yard sales etc. to try and find a bit larger tank on the cheap. Your fish is in a much better situation than the cup he was in for sure but I would keep an upsize in mind. Good luck!
 

andrearamirezo91

Well Known Member
Messages
1,306
Reaction score
117
Points
158
Experience
5 years
Cherie G said:
You tank is quite lovely. Nice work! My advice would be to keep your eye out on Craigs list and yard sales etc. to try and find a bit larger tank on the cheap. Your fish is in a much better situation than the cup he was in for sure but I would keep an upsize in mind. Good luck!
Very true! A couple years ago I managed to find a 29 gallon with filter, lights and heater for a friend on craigslist. He only paid 30 for all of it!
 

Wolf010

Valued Member
Messages
235
Reaction score
145
Points
53
Experience
Just started
To summarise everything said above, your tank is ok for now, but try to get a tank 2.5 gallon and above soon. He will out grow the current tank.

WAIT. did u cycle your tank before putting him in? OwO

As for dosing fertilizer for an aquarium, it depends on the type of plant u have, some plants like java fern does not require fertilizer and can still do pretty well. But u should be able to purchase fertilizer from your LFS. just follow the instructions on the bottle. Also, your will Betta really appreciate floating plants, so try get some if u can.
 

LagerthaM

Valued Member
Messages
330
Reaction score
97
Points
38
Experience
4 years
These are some really good, cheap tanks that can help you get to a better gallonage without breaking the bank. I use the large, which is a little over 5 gallons, for my most recent rescue (he's my profile pic) and he is doing fine and loves his tank. I do think that you're 1.5 gallon looks really nice, I love that you're using live plants, and honestly I think he should be fine there for a while. Just keep in mind you will more than likely have to get him a bigger tank in the near future and that a 1.5 gallon will require more maintenance (maintaining water quality is harder) than a bigger tank .
 

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
2,163
Points
298
Experience
3 years
As long as you keep it clean im sure a 1 gallon is much better then a cup surrounded by other male bettas and in dirty cold non filtered water. I would see you 'saved" him, as by taking him home hes been replaced at the Petstore by another betta in that cup. But I like to just think about the betta I brought home and how happy they will be.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,962
Reaction score
3,787
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Crazyfishguy said:
FCDE1497-5D3A-40EE-919B-167C87C8F8D9.jpeg 0BB1141B-6874-4261-AA52-AB7EB6184430.jpeg 53875B7E-15C1-4CAA-98DF-E3A8BC308ACA.jpeg A4E3C3A6-88BB-4E89-862E-7946B550DD6A.jpeg F08B70CE-B16B-4543-9FFC-03B76642FD58.jpeg I was at my LFS yesterday and saw this cute little betta in a cup. I felt pretty bad for him and decided to take him home. He’s in a little tank now, probably about 1.5 Gallon. Still way better than the tiny cup at the store! My question is, will he be happy in here ? I really don’t have the space or the resources to get a larger tank at the moment.

I have some Anubias in there and a tiny H.O.B to keep the water circulating.


EDIT: Updated pictures of the tank. He’s swimming around happily and looks content for now. I will switch to a bigger tank in a couple months . What do you guys think of the setup?

P.s . how do you dose fertilizers for a nano tank?
That does NOT look like a 1.5 gallon tank! It looks like at least a 5 gallon tank! He looks great!
 

Fishproblem

Valued Member
Messages
132
Reaction score
82
Points
73
Experience
3 years
Only a fish that is genetically unable to participate in natural behavior will “prefer” a tiny tank. 5 gallon minimum for your guy. If you don’t already have a heater, you’ll need one.

Standard 5.5 gallon tanks are always $13 at Petco!
 

Wydowmayker

Valued Member
Messages
63
Reaction score
25
Points
28
Experience
More than 10 years
Crazyfishguy said:
FCDE1497-5D3A-40EE-919B-167C87C8F8D9.jpeg 0BB1141B-6874-4261-AA52-AB7EB6184430.jpeg 53875B7E-15C1-4CAA-98DF-E3A8BC308ACA.jpeg A4E3C3A6-88BB-4E89-862E-7946B550DD6A.jpeg F08B70CE-B16B-4543-9FFC-03B76642FD58.jpeg I was at my LFS yesterday and saw this cute little betta in a cup. I felt pretty bad for him and decided to take him home. He’s in a little tank now, probably about 1.5 Gallon. Still way better than the tiny cup at the store! My question is, will he be happy in here ? I really don’t have the space or the resources to get a larger tank at the moment.

I have some Anubias in there and a tiny H.O.B to keep the water circulating.


EDIT: Updated pictures of the tank. He’s swimming around happily and looks content for now. I will switch to a bigger tank in a couple months . What do you guys think of the setup?

P.s . how do you dose fertilizers for a nano tank?

I would be quite happy in there. It’s like going from a dumbwaiter to a larger bedroom with a bathroom.

I suspect your friend will do very well.
 

Fishproblem

Valued Member
Messages
132
Reaction score
82
Points
73
Experience
3 years
Wydowmayker said:
I would be quite happy in there. It’s like going from a dumbwaiter to a larger bedroom with a bathroom.

I suspect your friend will do very well.
I’ll reiterate that this tank is genuinely not large enough to sustain a betta. It’s well decorated and a great start, but ideally the fish is going to be in a larger tank that can consistently maintain the proper temperature and a completed nitrogen cycle. A 1.5 gallon tank with decor like that is probably closer to a gallon and a quarter at most. Not really any better than a bowl.

Crazyfishguy I think you’ve certainly got the space for a standard 5.5 gallon where you’ve got that tank. As far as resources, the bare minimum doesn’t have to be awfully expensive. $13 tank, $4 sponge filter, $3 airline tube, $5.50 pump, $20 heater. Not sure if you’ve had a betta before but you’ll be super pleased to see the sort of engagement and activity in him if you upgrade your tank.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,962
Reaction score
3,787
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishproblem said:
I’ll reiterate that this tank is genuinely not large enough to sustain a betta. It’s well decorated and a great start, but ideally the fish is going to be in a larger tank that can consistently maintain the proper temperature and a completed nitrogen cycle. A 1.5 gallon tank with decor like that is probably closer to a gallon and a quarter at most. Not really any better than a bowl.

Crazyfishguy I think you’ve certainly got the space for a standard 5.5 gallon where you’ve got that tank. As far as resources, the bare minimum doesn’t have to be awfully expensive. $13 tank, $4 sponge filter, $3 airline tube, $5.50 pump, $20 heater. Not sure if you’ve had a betta before but you’ll be super pleased to see the sort of engagement and activity in him if you upgrade your tank.
LOOK at the tank with the betta in it Fishproblem, it is NOT a 1.5 gallon tank (imagine a 1.5 gallon jug of milk). It LOOKS like a 5 gallon tank to me. The Betta has plenty of room in that tank with a filter and heater. It's vastly better than where he came from.
 
  • Moderator

Coradee

Moderator
Messages
17,053
Reaction score
4,451
Points
508
Experience
More than 10 years
The op has already said they plan to upgrade in a couple of months so there really is no need to keep going on & on about tank size.
Let’s move on & answer the Op’s other question, reminder below

Crazyfishguy said:
P.s . how do you dose fertilizers for a nano tank?
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom