Save My Plants?

TransEleanor

Reaction score
1E694EDD-43AC-49EF-95EF-026D5B3D7E29.jpeg
Recently (ongoing) I had an ich outbreak. I treated with high temp (86-89*F).

The ich is solved, but I had an impressive melt of some plants. Mainly the dwarf hair grass (Eleocharis Parvula?) There are 3 days of heat left, then the tank will slowly return to 77*F where it belongs. Is this damage consistent with heat? Is there something else I should address?

Simultaneously, I had an algae explosion. For now, I am blaming the high heat for plant death. My theory: The plant death (melt) increases ammonia. Ammonia + heat = Algae.

5 gallon Flubal Spec V - Modified, kinda? The sponge on the filter side has been replaced by a 1 inch bottom and top sponge, the middle now contains approx 1L of Seachem Matrix in media bags.

CO2 - 4 pm-9pm

Aquarium Co-op “Simple Green” on when nitrates hit 0, approx every 3-4 days.

Light - Medium to High, Beamworks 6500k DA 24”.

Photo Period: on 7:00-10:00 am and on 5:00-10:00 pm. (off 9, on 3, off 7, on 5)

Natural light? Minimal to none.

I still have the stock light, but it was questionable at best for plants, hence the replacement.

Livestock: 6 Ember tetras, 5 (visible) RCS, 1 Betta, 1 Nerite snail.

What can I do to nurse this back to health? Is it too far gone?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope our planted members can help you today

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like high heat melted plants, which lowered their ability to fight algae. Should start to turn back around after the heat ends

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never had an issue with temp swings in my plants. I'm talking extreme since I grow my plants outdoors. On some days in SoCal, the temp goes from 82F to 68F at night. That's pretty significant. No melting whatsoever.

Here's the issue I see here and why there may be algae:

I noticed you only dose ferts when nitrates bottom out. This is not a good idea for healthy, lush growth. I'd dose easy green at full dose 3x a week on a hightech tank. Nitrates in a planted tank are nothing to worry about nor is a high concentration of phosphate. 50% water change at the end of the week helps to remove ammonia from the water and resets nutrient levels to prevent them from getting too high.

When you increased the temp, I theorize that the plant metabolism probably sped up a bunch and didn't have enough nutrients to support their growth, hence the melt and then the algae from the resulting ammonia.

It doesn't look too far gone at all. It looks like it'll recover very easily from the photos

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom