Save my fish please! Help

1. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

One of my cardinal Tetra has Dropsy and I can't get to the fish shop until tomorrow. I've separated him into a plastic jug but it still in the main tank. (he's hanging on the side) I've added a small dose of medicine that treats gill and body flukes. Hopefully that will do something for him. My main tank is currently being treated for parasites any way, i'm using flash metronidazole in a home made fish food. This is the fish in question will he survive the night?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Bellatrix Member Member

I'm so sorry to hear this, sadly I'm brand new at this too so I can't give advice but I'd like to let you know I wish him a fast recovery.

3. Aquarium Newb Member Member

Dropsy is very hard, if you even can, cure. This late in you cant save it more than likely. You should euthanize it in my opinion. If you can find it early enough epsom salt helps but if he is already pineconing then he is a goner. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

And about the survive the night thing sorry, however its hard to tell with dropsy how long he will live.

4. MissyRay Member Member

Aww, sorry to hear about that. Poor little guy.

5. Bellatrix Member Member

What a horrible thing to say aquariumnewbie!
    If he's going to pass away he should do so naturally not because you decide it's time.

6. Kwig Well Known Member Member

I don't think you understand how nasty of a disease dropsy is. They get like that because their organs are failing and they can't discard excess fluid in their tissues.
    Humane euthanasia is something that has to be viewed as a last resort to end chronic suffering. It was suggested appropriately in this case.
    This is not the place to have a debate about it, though.

OP, with it this far gone his chances are next to none and I too recommend euthanasia. I like the clove oil method. They become unconscious and then you continue to dose until they just stop breathing.

7. Aquarium Newb Member Member

Euthanizing is often for the fish. If a fish is in a situation in which I am willing to suggest euthanizing is because the fish is suffering horribly. Dropsy is terrible in which the fish is suffering and probably has been for a while, in which humanely killing them is a mercy. Its not like I'm telling them to take their fish out of the water and let it just die from lack of oxygen. Letting him pass naturally could put him through a ton of unnecessary pain, considering the fact that dropsy is near impossible to cure at this point.

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Think he / she is only telling its opinion, which is the same as mine.

9. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Nature has decided it's time, but it can actually take a long time for a fish with dropsy to die. The kindest thing to do is to euthanise the fish, in a small container with a little water and 25 drops of Clove Oil per litre. It will save the fish from more suffering and distress.

Not doing this is the 'horrible' course of action.

:)

10. Bellatrix Member Member

I have to say this is the worst forum I've ever been on.

I don't think I'll be posting here again.

11. Skyy2112 Member Member

Whether you agree or disagree with it doesnt make it a bad forum. If you were pained up to the point of not being able to move, make yourself food, or well, anything in a fishes case, and be on a deathbed would that not be appropriate?

I personally believe in trying everything, and I have witnessed fish suffering from it, and heavily regret it.

But in certain circumstances, I am 'pro' euthanize. I hope this page doesnt discourage you from joining our forum in more positive lights, but all in all, each forum contains different aspects to it.

I hope you enjoy fishkeeping with whatever forum you choose, or dont choose.

12. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Thank you everybody for your input on this topic. I'm very sad to say that the fish in question has been euthanised. We got some clove oil off a neighbour and I'm buying a bottle tomorrow just to have on hand in case of extreme emergencies. I cried and cried and I feel so awful that he got to that state. I'm questioning the health of the fish I purchased from a certain place actually, as all the fish I have gotten from this place have particularly bad stock. Everything I've gotten has either come with internal/external parasites or some other awful disease. Needless to say, I'll be more careful when buying fish. But more to the point, Swim in Peace my beautiful cardinal :'(

13. Skyy2112 Member Member

I dont mean to erupt any more damage, but would you mind sharing where you got your fish? Perhaps it will save someone else some trauma.

14. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Well for the other Irish people here, its a local fish shop in Castletroy shopping centre in Limerick City. I don't really want to give it a bad name as the guys in there are really helpful. Its a private owned shop so I'm not sure where they source their fish. Anyone who lives round here will know the shop i'm talking about but I just feel bad saying the actual name.

15. Skyy2112 Member Member

Dont. But you should talk to them about their source. It could very well be a local person, or shipped, IDK, but just be/c they buy/sell bad fish doesnt mean they dont know their stuff.

Do their tanks have a single filter system, or seperate?

16. oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

You could try Epsom salts to help the fish. I've heard of it working in extremely rare cases. It's worth a shot, anyway.

17. Kwig Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry you had to euthanize him but I'm happy for your fish that you were kind enough and strong enough to humanely stop the suffering.

Regarding parasites, many fish carry parasites and often the stress of the shipping process is enough to weaken the immune system enough to trigger an infection. I would definitely look into setting up a quarantine tank or at the very least deworming your fish. There are medicated foods you can give to new arrivals and things like PraziPro that are gentle enough you can use it monthly as a preventative.