Help Save a fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridammg

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My brother in law turned off his tank and was letting all the fish die. I tried to save but most died but an algae eater. Fish now has what looks like a sore on his back. What do I do? I don't know about testing or anything else. He is in small 1 gallon tank with air and heater and that is it. I don't know anyone who has a tank who can take him and save. I don't want him to die if possible. Thanks!

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and welcome to Fishlore!
Good for you for trying to save the poor fish. Since you don't know anyone who can take him I would recommend calling the small, privately owned fish stores in your area and see if one of them could take it. For now, see if you can swipe a bottle of water conditioner from your brother in law and do daily water changes on his bowl. If possible, do two a day, one in the morning and one at night. I'm not sure about the sore on his back, but regardless of what it is, clean water is nature's best medicine so the regular changes will help a bit. Perhaps if you can post a picture of him so we can determine what kind of algae eater he is and also try to find out about the sore.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the best thing you can do for that fish is get him a filter, a bigger tank (a 1 gallon tank isn't a good place for any fish really) and frequent water changes. If you can't do the first two, at least do the water changes, because 1 gallon is just way too small and you won't really be able to cycle such as mall tank anyway.

I second and third the above recommendations for taking over your brother in law's tank and other fishcare products -- you'll want a water conditioner at a minimum, and possibly an appropriate medication for the fish once you can diagnose the lesion on his back. If you post pictures of the fish and affected area, someone here can probably help you figure out how to treat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom