Saulosi with Polit in 50 gallon

1. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

Do you guys think its possible to stock a 50 gallon with both Saulosi and Polit ?

I was thinking about

Saulosi - 2m-6fm
    Polit - 1m-3fm

Else I guess I should just keep it a Saulosi species tank like I have been thiking about?

Also would I still have room for a synodontis with that setup?

2. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

I would say to forget the Polits and go with a school of synodontis.
    The Polits are too aggressive.

Saulosi - 2m-6fm
    Synodontis - no less than 5

Do you have live plants?
    Be sure to have plenty of hiding places for the catfish.

3. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

I've kinda remade my "south american" tank, becuase I hate all the work with live plants and just want a sand and stone malawi tank.

I guess thats a no go for the synodontis njassae, because they are like 40 dollars each at my LFS.

Can you suggest one of the synodontis that would go well with my Saulosi ?

4. Beeker

I can't think of any for a 50 gallon tank.
    I'm not sure how Cories would handle the Saulosis and the ones that come to mind need larger tanks. Maybe another member would be able to help out.

5. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

Ohh so you think it should be a pure "Saulosi" species tank? without the catfish?

I've had Malawi's before and know you can put abit more than what you would do normaly, but I don't want to massive overstock, nor bring combo's that don't get along.

I crossed alot of malawi's of my list already and thats why I went with saulosi (seems like a good pick for my size tank)

But ty for the advice, much appreciated

6. Beeker

Glad for the little help I could offer.
    Not necessarily a species only tank, but since they are a bit on the aggressive side and they prefer stronger currents, I would just err on the side of caution when it comes to tankmates.

7. OP
    OP
    DrSahl

Well I am pretty much in the dark due to the "little tank" I have. Last time I had Malawi's I had a larger tank and didnt have trouble combining 2 species.

I might just pick up the Saulosi first and then get someone else later if I think its possible.