Saturday chatter: Biting your tongue at the LFS

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Saturday chatter: general boredom discussions etc

[apologies to mods in advance ]
So it's Saturday night (in Melbourne) and I'm somewhat bored.

Anyway, I was at the LFS buying my new plants today and while I was waiting, I was listening to some of the conversations occurring between staff and customers.

One of the guys there is really good, and qualify's the customer before they make a purchase doomed for problems (e.g. buying two bettas to put in the same tank = not good). He's also really good on water parameters and other effects on water. And to his credit, he won't sell mbunas to someone with a 10G, he tells them that they are still juvies, and will outgrow the tank (and/or just not suitable at all)..... this guy loves his fish.

The other guy just doesn't care at all, and will sell just about anything to anyone. Everytime I hear this guy recommend something, I feel like butting in and telling the customer that it's not right.

I'm just curious how many others feel the need to speak up, but we bite our tongues and shut up because the LFS looks after us (cos we know better)....

I find it hard, I desparately want to tell the customer that they are headed for trouble, but it's not for me to say.

Last edited:

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ohhhhh, I can definetly understand wanting to speak up, but having to just bite your tongue. My favourite LFS is pretty good, all the workers in there seem to know what they're talking about - except for one. He doesn't give out outrageously bad advice, but it's still not that good, if you know what I mean. He doesn't seem to care about the fish as much as the others. Plus he is incredibly arrogant - which makes me find it hard to mind my manners

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In my experience, it is a bit unusual to have one store with polar opposite employees like that. Usually the ones who don't know stuff will pick it up from the more experienced person.

When I ask mine complicated questions, they refer to this one who knows a ton.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Personally being a noob to the fish world, I wish someone would have stepped in and help guid me...employee or not. While I felt like I was speaking to someone who actually knew their stuff, part of his pay is based on commission and some of his 'sugguestions' reflected that.

That being said, shame on me for not having researched my own information and just taking a LFS word for it. Thankfully enough though the research is what has pulled me deeper into this hobby.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's not that the 'ignorant' guy doesn't know his stuff, he's just, well.... ignorant, and/or just assumes the customer knows what they are doing.

E.g. last week a customer walked in looking for rocks for her goldfish tank. Originally she went straight for the live/volcano rock, but the caring staff member said 'what do you want it for'..... suffice to say, he went on to tell the customer live rock is for sw, and the volcano rock they had would change her pH and was not suitable.

The ignorant guy just would have sold this lady live rock.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hehe, I usually wait until the clerk walks away and then approach the customer with my own suggestions.

It's not something I do often, but if the clerk is really clueless and is giving out bad advice, I will say something about it in order to try and save some fishy lives.

Now that I'm starting a shop, the advice comes from my husband and me only since we don't have employees. Fortunately, we tend to see eye to eye on most things fishkeeping! LOL

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is off-topic, but you titled your thread chatter, so I figured it's okay... why is it so slow here right now? I've noticed that in general, this past week has seemed less active than normal.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, chatter it is... just needed a 'topic' to start with.

And because of the quietness, I figured some chatter was in order....

Maybe we've all got very happy fish atm

Changing of the seasons perhaps ???

It's coming into spring in the US, so maybe the weather is nicer and people are heading out for drinks..... It's getting cold in Melb, so I'm staying indoors lol

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm.. maybe I'll take the kids to the pool today. Swimming would be fun.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is the water warm enough down there to swim? Its been warm in Dallas, but I think the pool would still be kinda chilly...however that never stopped me from bein in the pool as a wee lad.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lol, don't you spend enough time around water

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well, I would have thought it was still too cold, but my kids' daycare has a little pool, and they started splash day this week. So maybe it's okay?

My best friend lives in Frisco, and she says it's too cold up in your neck of the woods.

Ryan, I've asked my kids not to go swimming in the fish tank.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My sister lives in Bastrop and she let her kiddos swim yesterday. It gets warmer down that way a little earlier than up here.

My pitt and tea cup yorkie would love to get in the fish tank!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
meenubut all kids want to go swimming with the fish!!! lol (as opposed to sleeping with them, which is bad)

meenu said:
but my kids' daycare has a little pool, and they started splash day this week.
Is this little pool cycled?.... do you have readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates???

I'd definitely suggest 50% daily water changes, and possibly dose with Prime to de-tox any ammonia from the kiddies...

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Remember guys...no getting edited by the mods today...we're gonna set a new record.

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've always held my tongue because I don't want to seem to be a know-it-all from people but it's sad what employees will sell to unknowing customers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom