Satin's new FERNished apartment (and mossished)

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by ebbandflow, May 16, 2006.

1. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

The plants are in! And I finally had some time to take pix (finals are over). That first breath after my last final was the sweetest I have ever taken. Anyway heres the pictures, hope you enjoy.

Couple questions though (u didnt think you were gonna get away that easy did you?) What care exactly is involved in java fern and java moss? And some of the leaves are brown... should I remove them and if so just the part that is brown or the whole leaf? And two snails hitched a ride with the plants into satins tank. Should I take them out or is it cool?... ill try and post a pic but they are tiny and it was hard. It was funny... satin tried to eat one of them and then he instantly lost interest forever. He usually tries to eat things at least ten or twenty times before deciding he doesnt want it.

Attached Files:

2. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

why is your water green? ? ? ? snails will multiply and fill your tank but it depends witch ones they are

3. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

LOL  I can see him try to eat a snail because Marty was going to "terrorize" the snail in his tank until he took a header off the shell and decided that retreat was the better part of valor.  LOL  I do not know WHY they everything is supposed to go into their stomachs  ::) :p ;D.  Oh yes, I guess he IS feeling better by the way he is flying across the picture LOL.

Java Fern and Java Moss are supposed to be two of the easiest plants to learn to deal with in the aquarium, they aren't supposed to need much extra care and are low light plants. My only problem with the Java Moss that I had was my first Betta was a Veiltail and had fins a mile long. Every time he swam by the Java Moss some of it came with him. I had it all over the tank and it took me months to get it all out of the tank when I decided I had enough of that. Now I wish I had it back because Misty's little fins wouldn't bother it and it is lovely.

The tank is beautiful!  I love the way you have the plants.  Are they in plant socks or what.  It looks so neat.  Yes, remove the brown leaves and by all means remove the whole leaf as it will continue to turn brown until it disintegrates anyway.  New ones will form.  (and you will have to remove more brown ones periodically)  Isn't it really neat how much Bettas love plants?

You have a very nice home for Satin and the snails are cool.   They won't have a population explosion unless you overfeed your fish.  (and if they did all you have to do is grab them with a water change and put them outside or someone once told me to crush them on the glass and the fish would eat them, but I don't think I could do that)  

Congratulations on completing your finals, I hope you did well.  I figured that is where you were.  A lot of the younger ones have been noticably absent these last few weeks due to school I imagine.  It is good to have you back.

Rose
    :D

p.s. tell Satin that those snails are off limits (and see if he listens LOL)

4. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Beautiful tank!! Keep up teh good job :) Good luck with finals.
    Carol

5. SunnShadowValued MemberMember

Where did you find that cave?? Your tank is very beautiful......... so natural looking!!!

S.

6. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

Fishrfriend, I think the water looks green just in the pic... its not that way in real life.

Rose, is it bad for the moss to get all over the tank? There are definitely little strands here and there in the tank. The plants are tied to river rock with string... so they can anchor. What is a plant sock? My finals went well, all A's and B's so far.

SunnShadow, I got the cave at petsmart I think for 15 bucks. I got it cuz it looked natural. I personally dont like those castles and sunken ships and stuff.

Thanks everyone I had a great time setting up the tank and I just love watchin satin with his new setup.

7. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Plant sock is what we call those little (sometimes cubes) things that you let the plant grow in and just sit it on top of the gravel. I had a friend a long time ago who had her aquarium plants planted in one of those cubes and put in a small baggie of gravel made of some type of mesh. It was a neat effect - kind of made it look like the plants were somehow floating. I wish I had pictures I could show you - it looks better than it sounds.

I have noticed the river rock finally and I think it looks really nice. They are really healthy looking plants.

Rose
    :D

8. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

What Chickadee means about the moss all over the tank is that where ever theres a strand of moss it will grow, so eventually you will have moss all over the place. theres nothing wrong with that. I have one ten gallon that is nothing but one big Java Moss ball :)
    Just depends on where you want it to grow. If you don't want it all over you have to constantly pull it out
    (really love the tank!!)
    Carol

9. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Sorry I did not mean to skip over your question. I have been gardening and out in the sun too long I guess LOL. It is purely a matter of preference. There is nothing wrong with having Java Moss all over the tank. I actually thought it was a very delicate and beautiful moss and if I had known anything about the Moss Walls of Butterfly's I probably would have one right now. Veiltail Bettas fins are much longer and Azul was just constantly covered with the strands of moss or dragging them all over. It was a pet peeve of mine that he loved to drag it around but in Noel's tank he only had a few strands (tied down) and they were very pretty.

Rose
    :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice