Satellite Freshwater LED +: Algae Question

1. platy21 Member Member

Hello.

I have had my Sat + LED for a few months now. I made the mistake of keeping the light on full spectrum mode all day. (Anywhere from 12-14 hours.). As you can guess, I had a huge algal bloom. Water was completely green. Ended up purchasing a cheap UV sterilizer, keeping the light off when we weren't home, and setting the light to the cloudy day mode. My question is, which mode on the light is least conducive to algae growth? I would like to leave the light on for my plants, and only have full spectrum on for a few hours. Does anyone else have this light? If so, of all the settings, which is best to leave on or cycle through?

2. escapay Well Known Member Member

Which one is the full spectrum?

I've got mine switched to I think the more purple toned one. Before it was on yellow. My issue that I was having was hair algae, so I lessened the light period to be closer to the 6-8 hours and stopped dosing as much fertilizers as I was -- all of which now has stopped causing hair algae. I have FloraMax substrate I think, so tank technically was getting fertilization from that and didn't need ones via the water column. Or at least not as often.

Of course, realize that this is on my 12 gallon long aquarium and is only about 9 inches tall. But I've never had green water on the two light settings I chose. *crosses fingers*

Sorry I don't know the exact answer to your questions, but just what I've experienced.

3. Linwood Member Member

I'm curious of the same thing. Most people say use the yellow (full spectrum, basically all on), but just in reading it would seem the purple would avoid the middle spectrum where algae are more receptive than plants, so I've been using that. I'm new to aquarium and lighting so don't take that as more than a question, as opposed to a recommendation.

But it seems to make sense if you have a very variable light that there is a better answer than just "turn them all on all the time for 8 hours" which seems to be what most people are doing.

I'm also finding a lot of recommendations for 2 x 4 hour periods as opposed to 1 x 8 hours, again take with a grain of... well, not salt as we're in fresh water, but you get what I mean.

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not a scientists but I believe that plants and algae both desire the same type and color temp of light. The way to control algae is by shortening the photo period and helping the plants to outcompete the algae. This can be done by increasing CO2 in the tank. I personally don't like all the extra equipment and fuss with a CO2 tank injection, but liquid CO2 substitute like Seachem Excel works very well. A second bonus from using Excel is that it's an algaecide.

5. Linwood Member Member

I'm not either, but I know there are a lot of sites that speak of algae being a bit different. Not sure if other forum URL's are allowed, will try one and see, here's an example that discusses it:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/38014-lighting-spectrum-photosythesis.html

Apologies in advance to the moderators if such links are not allowed.

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Linwood, forum rule #5 should answer your question:

For future reference, here's a link to the forum rules:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/forum-announcements-suggestions/227-fishlore-forum-rules.html

platy21, ill share that when I upgraded the lighting in my betta tank, i also experienced algae problem with hair algae and a minor case of cyano. All has been mitigated by reducing the amount of micro ferts being used and reducing the dividing the photo period to the following schedule (6on / 4off/ 4on / 10off) Best of luck.

7. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Good link Linwood, from what I read on there, it stated that green algae and green plants prefer the same type of light. Its the blue-green cyanobacteria or other less common algaes that have different light preferences.