Sat On My Lid...

1. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

I sat on my lid...

I really need a DIY lid right now because my new koi betta will arrive today at 1:30 and I don’t want her to jump. Any suggestions for a DIY lid for a 20 long?

Also, it’s a planted tank so I need a somewhat clear material for a lid.

2. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

You can buy an acrylic sheet from Home Depot. I think they can even cut it to size.

3. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

First of all, thats my fear xD. Use clear wrap? and poke holes. Or got a long piece of mesh or i once used window screening.

Yeah or that works (sometimes pricy) And cut some holes in there. Or use green house siding stuff like King Of DIY used for his 2000gallon

4. JoeCamaro

Or Egg Crate which they also sell.

5. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

6. spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

I know some people use fiber glass roof panels but that seems slightly more expensive. How broken is the lid? Is it past a temporary fix like tape or glue?

7. JoeCamaro

You can also use a lid from one of those storage totes.

8. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

I use reptile cage lids and just lay the lights on top of them. It's not exactly a DIY solution, but it's less expensive than an aquarium lid.

9. Lacey D

Lacey D Valued Member Member

I just made an acrylic cover last night, but I was using left over sheets we had and no power tools. The King of DIY has a good video on making simple cuts to acrylic sheeting--you need a razor a straight edge and some clamps--and it's easy to drill a hole in it to help with lifting it. The PAIN comes in trying to cut out any other spaces for filters, cords, etc. For that, power tools are almost essential if you don't want to risk it splitting. If you have a table router, or know someone who does, that works best.

But for temporary lids in the past, I have used everything from clear storage container lids to screen mesh.

And I hope you didn't get cut! O_O

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I like glass or acrylic lids that have a hole in the front for lifting it, and slots in the back for airline tubing.
    I think you can make a lid easily, not too hard IMO. It’s still funny that you sat on the lid :)

11. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

might be a stupid question.. But did you sit on the lid while on the tank? :p

12. Fanatic

HA! :D

13. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

Are you close to a petsmart/petco? If you don't want to do a DIY, put a storage container lid over it 2/3 of it to allow the filter to keep going and just go get a new lid. You can even order them from Amazon and if you have prime, you can get next day shipping. I've heard bad things about the screens and fish hurting their scales if they scrape against it. We had it for our first tank and never had an issue with it that I know of but then again, I used to do a complete water change and rinse off the rocks at every water change so... Poor fish.

Plants won't die without a light shining on them for a couple of days, it's a great way of getting rid of any algae as well.

14. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

My friend came through with the lid!

Attached Files:

15. Fanatic

Oh, wonderful!
    I want to see the cracked one :p

16. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Attached Files:

17. Fanatic

Oh, that’s explainable! I didn’t know it was glass, so I hadn’t a clue.
    Glad you got a new one :)

18. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

For anybody that wanted to see my new koi betta, here she is! She has been in here since Frida6 and has since settled in!

Pics don’t do her justice!

Attached Files: