Sarasa Comet Goldfish Too Big? | Page 2

1. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Thank you!! :D

2. Kattymatt Initiate Member

I suppose I could build a pond or release him in our lake, but realistically it is becoming evident I will need to adopt him to someone with a pond :( I am super bummed. I did tons of research for my gourami tank and failed miserably. I thought if I took the advice of the pet shop owner this go round it would work out better. Both fish have been very healthy the last 2 years, but I want Casserole to have a good life. I had no idea they got to be a foot long! She told me he would be 2 inches. Oh well. Onward and upward. I wish I could keep him. I don't think I would have the time to care for a pond in the winter months though.

3. Kattymatt Initiate Member

I don't want anyone to be stuffed. I want everyone to be comfortable.

4. tunafax Member Member

7-8 would be stuffing into a 75g.
    6 is the max.
    4-5 is easier tank maintenance.

Asterisk: The max I had was 7 goldfish in a 250l (65g) mastercraft tote. That was a bad idea. Higher than that volume is me estimating.

5. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Listen to @tunafax about stocking. I don't how stocking works with a tank that big.

6. Kattymatt Initiate Member

Thank you so much for all of the input everyone. You'll see me asking many questions as I put this tank together.

7. clk89 Well Known Member Member

Please don't ever release pet fish into your lake. It can cause a lot of environmental issues. If you make the pond deep enough you won't have to worry too much about winter.

8. Kattymatt Initiate Member

I wouldn't actually ever release him in our lake. Caring for our trout is difficult enough. It gets as low as 40 below zero in the winters here. I don't think I want to undertake the pond idea. Adoption is the best choice I think.

9. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

If you have a backyard, you should make a stock tub pond if you really want to keep the other goldfish. You can make one for $200 or under. Mine is 6ft. x 2ft. X 2ft. 180 gallons.

image.jpg

Your winters will likely be too cold, though...maybe you could keep him inside in a big Rubbermaid container during winter and put him back outside when everything melts?

10. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

6 will be fine in a 75g depending on fancy type meaning , an oranda will get 8" while a ranchu or lionhead stays relatively smaller getting 5" , I wouldn't put 6 orandas in a 75g but with a nice mix meaning 3 orandas 2 lionhead and 1 ranchu it'll be completely fine and they'll all be comfortable.

11. Kattymatt Initiate Member

That is really cool you have a stock tub pond! Indoor open water won't work. I would be worried with a 1 and 3 year old around that. I will think on outdoor possibilities. I may be able to overcome the cold with heaters and aerators, but predators like mountain lions, bears, racoons, etc. would be another hinderance to consider. And kid proofing it.

12. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Holy cow where the heck do you live??

13. tunafax Member Member

Sounds like you live in the prairies or the north provinces of Canada? Ouch. That's cold.

And wild.

14. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

My first thought was Alaska or Bristish Columbia... they have those issues.

15. Biev Member Member

Could be anywhere in Canada, lol. I'm from Montreal, QC and -40 temps aren't unheard of.

(Also stop making me want a pond you guys, my boyfriend will kill me!)

16. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

It's the mountain lion that made me think BC. I'm in Manitoba so belive me, I know what you mean. :)

17. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I'm also from Montreal and we have mountain lions ? we do get really cold in Montreal but we've never hit -40 lol the coldest day ever recorded on data was -36 and the coldest average winter weve ever experienced was -18.

on the side note tho ,I'm from the south shore (Longeuil) and I have a 1700 gal pond , as long as you make it deep enough, it's fine.

18. clk89 Well Known Member Member

You can put hardwire cloth on top for the predators. I live in Michigan and we have the same type of predators, it's what people use to keep their chickens safe.

19. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

In a 75 I would do just 4 fancies

20. Biev Member Member

My bad, our coldest day ever was -37.8 C which is -36 F as @JesseMoreira06 stated. I stand corrected!
    Really happy to see someone from my area on here! : )
    (Sorry, we can go back to talking about goldfish now!)