Sarasa Comet Goldfish Too Big?

1. Kattymatt Initiate Member

I currently have a sarasa comet goldfish and a moor goldfish. I got them from a small local petshop (which is closed down now and was open less than a year). I got the sarasa first. I got these fish completely on the suggestion of the owner of the shop. I have a 23 gallon tank. After looking through google and these forums I found that the sarasa is meant as a pond fish, not an aquarium fish! I am so sad. He is our little buddy. We are working on a 75 gallon tank and were moving both gomdfish to it when it is ready. Can we keep him in there?
  2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

You could, but not for very long. They grow up to and possibly more than 12 inches. They are also very active swimmers, which is why they need a pond.

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore :D

Unfortunately even a 75 gallon is too small. These guys really need 150 gallons minimum. When fully grown they are often over a foot long and are very active.

Keeping singletail goldfish and fancies together is not a good idea.

I recommend rehoming the sarassa to a pond then getting your black moor 1 or 2 fancy goldfish friends when you upgrade.
  4. Kattymatt Initiate Member

I am so heartbroken hearing this. I am glad I am doing my own research this time around so I have the right setup and community of fish this time.

5. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

You could fit a lot of fancies in a 75 though. :)
  6. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Fancy goldfish are goldfish with two caudal fins (aka tail fin). You could fit around 3-4 fancy goldfish in a tank your size. You could also look online at 75 gallon goldfish tanks for inspiration on the types of goldfish you want.
  7. Kattymatt Initiate Member

I am disappointed that pet shop owner steered me so terribly wrong. We have had Casserole and Binoculars for about 2 years now.

8. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

A 75g can fit 5-6 fancy goldfish comfortably.
  9. Biev Member Member

Casserole! That is the most adorable name ever.
  10. Kattymatt Initiate Member

Thank you! It is super adorable! My 3 year old named both Casserole and Binoculars when she was 2 <3

11. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Depending on the type of fancie, easily 4-6 maybe even 7. Your the one that needs to clean the tank, nothing will eat the waste they produce. That beging said, if you want something (say a pleco) because you like them, that's different. Don't buy one just to clean the tank.
  12. tunafax Well Known Member Member

I would recommend a good pond for the comet. Or rehoming to a pond.

But I would assume a pond may be a bit impossible for you - and that's common for people who get talked into buying commons by the petshop and then end up in your predicament. A 75 for a fancy goldfish would be just barely adequate. In fact, it was the recommended size just a few years ago. But the recommendations keep going up and up, not just for goldfish, but for every fish. Most of that has to do with new information and research becoming available as more people get into the hobby and post their experiences. Some of that imo is like getting an outdoor cat for extra cat freedom. Most of the time okay. Completely impractical to people with apartments all while indoor cats work out just as well. Edit: but that doesn't make them proper outdoor cats. That was such a bad tangent! A better one would be making the cat live out it's life in a cat cage.

What I'm saying is, 75g would be very barely sufficient for "life" but it will also be only 4 times the length of the comet. I would not invest to much in a single fish if I had the option of rehoming it to a better home and getting a much better stock value per gallon. :)
  13. Kattymatt Initiate Member

I have a 23 gallon tank now, with the 2 goldfish, that I clean once a week. I have gravel and clean it with a hand suction vacuum thing. I usually take out 1/4 to 1/2 of the water and replace it with mew water. Will once a week be enough for a 75 gallon tank? I will be using sand as a substrate rather than the rocks I have now. I am debating between fake plants or attempting a planted tank with live plants like java fern. Not sure on that yet.
  14. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Please tell me that's a typo or I'm gonna have a heart attack...
  15. Kattymatt Initiate Member

I will Google pleco to see what they are and if it would be a good fit.
  16. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly I'd be doing water changes twice a week with how high the bioload would be. I clean my 60g once a week with a 50% water change. It's not heavily stocked at all though, they just have big poops. I *think* it will be fine.
  17. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Plecotomis, aka Janitor fish, aka armoured catfish, aka sucker fish aka massive big poop machines. Make sure you know what kind you get, 90% of the plecos at pet stores are common and can very easily get 2' long.
  18. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Heart attack. I will pray for speedy recovery. :emoji_pray:

Lol, no - what I meant to convey was why 75 is strongly discouraged even though it's still the suggested minimum in outdated guides. The part where the "tank will be 4 times the length of the fish" is supposed to be self-explanatory no-not-do-this. I guess it came off wrong lol.

You can put anything anywhere, but if it doesn't look right then something is definitely wrong.

Edit: oh gosh I went back and read my own post. What have I done. :eek::eek::eek:
  19. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

75 for a fancy part? :)

I do know what you mean that at one point a 75 was minimum for a COMMON goldy, I think now it's up to 125-150g...
  20. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Fun fact!!
    My first goldie (that I actually researched before buying) was a feeder comet. His name was Fat Carp, and ever since then all my goldfish are collectively called fat carps.

The guides back then recommended 50-75 for a single common goldfish, but I remember the measure was actually in square inches of surface area. This was... 2005? Fat Carp got to 11" within a bit over a year in a plastic kiddie pool. At that growth rate, in my 15 year old mind he would totally be 30" next year, duh.

I... live in a major city, and... we have lots of decorative koi and goldfish ponds. Oops.
    I know he had a much better life in that pond than my kiddie pool, though.

You can stuff like 6 fancies into a 75. One of each! Please live my dream OP.