Sao's Betta Build In Progress!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by saofish, Apr 18, 2017.

1. saofish

saofish New Member Member

hello all!

i'm in the process of setting up a 10g for an eventual betta and finally got some of the progress photos together to post here!

1) day three or so, couple of plants in, still confused about many things
    0403171425a_zpsvrxemtnc.jpg

2) day idek anymore, probably a week or so after the previous? added java moss and prefilter sponge + baffled filter flow
    0407171758_zps4krdcis0.jpg

3) today! decided i didn't like the moss a couple days after i put it in, became worried about the roughness of the barrel decoration and took 'em both out.
    0418171832_zpsviqib1vy.jpg

this is... maybe two weeks after the last one? i may have gone a bit plant-mad. no regrets, though!!! i have some driftwood and a diy slate rock cave that are waiting on the aquarium sealant to set before they can go in. IAL's are starting to bring the pH down (i'm in limestoneville so my water seems to naturally settle at 7.8 & reasonably hard D: ) and have stained the water a bit already!

in between the middle and the last pics i also switched the filter media from the carbon that came with the tetra whisper to a ceramic bio-media and i'm FINALLY starting to see cycling-- 1ppm ammonia, .25 ppm nitrite, 5ppm nitrate! so like. maybe one day i will be able to get a fish xD

thoughts? i've been reading that java ferns really don't like to be planted so i've been considering whether i should pull my two and tie them to the driftwood when it gets added, but i don't know if uprooting them after they've been moved around so much in the rescaping i've been doing is going to do more harm than good. :/

2. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimp Valued Member Member

Are you growing that a Anubias in the sand. That will kill it pretty quick.

3. OP
    OP
    saofish

saofish New Member Member

oh no, really? i made sure not to bury the rhizome, i was given to believe that it'd be okay like that if not ideal?
    do you think it'd attach to slate if i tied it to that or would it need a more porous rock?

4. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimp Valued Member Member

You can tie or glue it to wood or rock. Any thing so long as it stays there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice