Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope our angel keepers can help you today

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had never heard of these until just this last week. And now I have seen them mentioned twice in two different locations.

In my curiosity about them, I did some googling and the conclusion I am coming to is that they are wild angels and they are given that name simply due to the location they are caught in. (Santa Isabel)

I am not sure if they would be considered altum, or scalare. I'd have to do more digging on that.

I honestly do not know anything about these angels and like I said, only heard their name this past week. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

@Mcasella What do you know about these guys?? Is it just a made up name for a wild scalare? (made up name given due to location) or are they altums?? What do you know about them, if anything??

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are supposedly scalare, not altum, but have a similar appearance to altum angels.
They look different from regular wild scalare, most noted in the red coloration and spotting along the body when compared to a wild scalare from another location.
I've had some red back crosses before (they didn't look like much, but i sold them before I could figure it out because i didn't have the tank space), but that would be as close as I've gotten to real wild angelfish so far.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! Unfortunately, not a whole lot of information has been documented or mentioned on the internet.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crispii said:
Thanks for the information! Unfortunately, not a whole lot of information has been documented or mentioned on the internet.
They would have the same requirements as a regular wild angel, though more carotenoids would provide better red coloring. Lower, acidic water with less plants, more hardscape/driftwood.
Mix of live, frozen, and dry foods to keep them healthy - some larger dither fish (lemon tetras, diamond tetras or similar, thicker bodied to avoid eating), sand substrate or bare bottom will likely be better for them.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crispii said:
I think there is info out there on that particular wild species. But likely under a different name. Santa isabel is simply the location they are caught. From what I understand anyway. So they could just be under a different name.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mcasella said:
They would have the same requirements as a regular wild angel, though more carotenoids would provide better red coloring. Lower, acidic water with less plants, more hardscape/driftwood.
Mix of live, frozen, and dry foods to keep them healthy - some larger dither fish (lemon tetras, diamond tetras or similar, thicker bodied to avoid eating), sand substrate or bare bottom will likely be better for them.
I do indeed have some wood and I feed my fish with a variety of prepared foods (bug bites, flakes, and pellets) as well as frozen food (bloodworms and brine shrimp).

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mcasella said:
Standard sized, 3-4 inch body, 6-8 inches tall w/ fins.
Thanks! And is it true that they don't really school or shoal as other angelfish species?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crispii said:
Thanks! And is it true that they don't really school or shoal as other angelfish species?
They are caught in singles, which is why they are harder to get a hold of but also more expensive.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mcasella said:
They are caught in singles, which is why they are harder to get a hold of but also more expensive.
Yeah I heard they're expensive, but how expensive are they?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crispii said:
Yeah I heard they're expensive, but how expensive are they?
I've seen a couple for sale between 30-90 a piece. But you want to make sure there is some documentation of where they were collected if you can, that way you can be certain they are actually santa isabel angels. You could always go for manacapuru angels instead, they are called red back or red shoulder and have good color (plus being easier to get/less expensive). Normally around 5-15 for captive bred ones. Their body shape isn't quite as tall, but they are good looking fish.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mcasella said:
I've seen a couple for sale between 30-90 a piece. But you want to make sure there is some documentation of where they were collected if you can, that way you can be certain they are actually santa isabel angels. You could always go for manacapuru angels instead, they are called red back or red shoulder and have good color (plus being easier to get/less expensive). Normally around 5-15 for captive bred ones. Their body shape isn't quite as tall, but they are good looking fish.
Really? 30-90? That's not bad. I saw some at my lfs and I'm hoping that they're not too expensive.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crispii said:
Really? 30-90? That's not bad. I saw some at my lfs and I'm hoping that they're not too expensive.
Just make sure they have a known location before jumping on them, even if they are F1/F2 and tank raised, having their parents/grandparents from a known location improves their price/(sometimes quality). Main point is to make sure they are santas.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mcasella said:
Just make sure they have a known location before jumping on them, even if they are F1/F2 and tank raised, having their parents/grandparents from a known location improves their price/(sometimes quality). Main point is to make sure they are santas.
Alrighty. Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom