Sanitizing QT water?

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had an angel in the QT with fin rot. I don't expect him to make it. How do I go about sanitizing the tank before adding in more fish (new purchases)? I've been using Maracyn to treat the angel? Will just finishing the round of antibiotics be enough?
I don't want to have to break this tank down and use bleach. I hate messing with bleach. Could I just add alot of ammonia to kill the bacteria off if the Maracyn isn't enough?

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
First of all, I hope you are not planning to add more fish before this fish either has gotten well or passed on? Assuming you are going to wait. If fish survives, and gets well, I assume there is no need to sanitize the water. If fish dies, I have heard that one can use ammonia instead of bleach to sanitize, however you would need to use a lot. You would need to make sure to use ammonia without additives (so ammonia that does not foam when you shake it). Alternatively you could also use white vinegar as another product to sanitize the tank. Whatever you use, make sure to then rinse the tank thoroughly so that nothing harmful remains. I have been told to toss stuff like filter media and air stone and such, since they are hard to sanitize, so need to replace those. Of course sanitizing will kill both bad and good bacteria, so you will need to either use filter media from another tank or establish the cycle from scratch in another way. I hope your fish makes it after all, and you won't need to sanitize the QT!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Of course that's what I meant! The fish actually passed today (I was gonna euthanize him had he not) and I still don't have any intention of adding fish until I feel the tank isn't "contagious" so to speak.

I hadn't heard of vinegar. Any idea of how much to use for a 10 gallon tank?

aylad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If this was a new fish who never made it to your display tank, I have one word for you.

Bleach.

On the other hand, if it is a fish that you isolated from your display, you might think about peroxide.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I REALLY don't want to mess with bleach......

aylad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I sympathize, I hate messing with it, too.

Have you seen any of the camallanus worm threads lately? If the angel was in your care for less than 6-8 weeks, bleach may be worth it. It's your choice, of course.

I'd still recommend peroxide over just vinegar, but that's me.

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Peroxide is good stuff. I had forgotten about it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads