Sanitizing QT after fish death

Zonotrichia

I was hoping I wouldn't have to make this post, but the guppy I'd been treating in QT died last night. We had been treating him for internal parasites (ParaCleanse), and he didn't make it. Can someone walk me through the best way to sanitize our 10g tank, equipment, and filter? Pretend I don't know anything—because I don't ;)

We used sponge filter that had been seeded and housed in our main 29g tank. Originally we had been hoping that we could just rinse it in tank water and move it back to the main tank with our (cured) fish once treatment had finished, but since we had a death I don't want to transfer any potential disease, parasites, or eggs to his tankmates. (Even though we are also treating the main tank for parasites, just in case.) So it looks like we will need to bid farewell to that nice beneficial bacteria in the QT filter and start anew. Next time, we will pop a new sponge filter into the main tank when start quarantining.

Thank you in advance!

Lucy

I'm sorry about your guppy.
This is what I've done. Of course others have different methods or they don't worry about it.

I toss any substrate, airline tubing and filter media.
Fill the tank with a bleach/water mixture (i forget the ratio. 19 to 1 maybe) and soak everything. (decorations, heater, rigid tube and base of the sponge filter). Let it set for a while. No set time, it won't take long.
Empty, this is a good way to sanitize your gravel vac at this time. refill with fresh water rinse and rinse until you no loner smell bleach.
The last refill, OD with dechlorinator before emptying.

Good luck with your other fish.

Zonotrichia

Thank you! I just have the sponge filter in the QT; no media, except I guess the sponge itself. Would you toss the sponge and buy a replacement, rather than soaking in the bleach solution with the other parts? I don't want to be wasteful. (Can you even buy replacement sponges, without buying the base, tube, etc? I got mine from Aquarium Co-op.)

AvalancheDave

Let everything dry out. That's it.

swimmingslowly

AvalancheDave said:
Let everything dry out. That's it.
I don’t mean to deter from the OP but I’ve always been curious about this as well. Theoretically the diseases would die out of water? Do you know how long it takes?

Zonotrichia

swimmingslowly said:
I don’t mean to deter from the OP but I’ve always been curious about this as well. Theoretically the diseases would die out of water? Do you know how long it takes?
It's not off topic, and I'm curious as well! I've often read that drying out things is sufficient to kill whatever disease or parasite is in the tank, but I've also heard the opposite.

Lucy

Zonotrichia said:
Thank you! I just have the sponge filter in the QT; no media, except I guess the sponge itself. Would you toss the sponge and buy a replacement, rather than soaking in the bleach solution with the other parts?
Yup, i would and have.
Zonotrichia](Can you even buy replacement sponges said:
I've often read that drying out things is sufficient to kill whatever disease or parasite is in the tank, but I've also heard the opposite.
I know several members would agree with AvalancheDave, I don't disagree with him at all especially if you're not going to use the tank right away.

Top Bottom