Question Sandy Questions

ostadsiah

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Heyall. So I'm planning to switch from large pebbles to black sand.
But everywhere I search on the web for the best option, people always compare brands, and non of those brands exist where I live.

So, when I'm buying sand, what should I be looking for??

Lissy0805

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When i looked for sand I noticed that CaribSea super Natural has a lot different sand types and colors and are found in almost all my pet stores.

I'm using super natural Premium. Its Super fine sand, it bit pricy though.
Very important: make sure not to layer up too thick! 1 inch of sand is fine. If you do thicker and don't regularly go through the sand with a chop stick, the anaerob bacteria will create many sulfate gas pockets. That happened to me. Not knowing about this I had a sand layer of 2-3 inches and it turned my sand black and made it smell super nasty once going through the ground. Also these gases lower your PH.

ostadsiah

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you! Here are some more questions:
Is super fine sand okay for plants?? I've heard they may not root very well in very fine sand and float.
And is it more expensive to buy sand with root tabs or just soil, in long term?

Lissy0805

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm still pretty new. But I have live plants. I made sure that the spots/ side where my plants are the sand is a bit deeper. I did had a couple rock pepples put right at the stem for them to stay down. It's actually looks very pretty. I only have a 5 gal. And the plants are only small to medium. If you have large ones, you might need more rocks.

I also used tabs at the beginning and my java fern grows well. But I read that most plants take nutritions from the water more then from the ground and don't nesessarly need fertilizer.

My anubias grows very well on the driftwood. If you worry about plants not holding in the sand, tie them to driftwood. It also helps cleaning the tank as you can always take it out or move it.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Black diamond Blasting Sand. $8.00 for a 50 pound bag at Tractor Supply Co. I have it in several planted aquariums. I can post photos if you like. You will want med-coarse grit that will not get into the filtration system. Also a pre filter sponge is a good idea. I use 10x the water column in GPH.

ostadsiah

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm still pretty new. But I have live plants. I made sure that the spots/ side where my plants are the sand is a bit deeper. I did had a couple rock pepples put right at the stem for them to stay down. It's actually looks very pretty. I only have a 5 gal. And the plants are only small to medium. If you have large ones, you might need more rocks.

I also used tabs at the beginning and my java fern grows well. But I read that most plants take nutritions from the water more then from the ground and don't nesessarly need fertilizer.

My anubias grows very well on the driftwood. If you worry about plants not holding in the sand, tie them to driftwood. It also helps cleaning the tank as you can always take it out or move it.
Oh yeah I know that some plants are water column feeders like Java fern and Anubias, but I was thinking of adding root feeders like ludwigia and nymphaea.. I hope they can be added to sand with root tabs?

Black diamond Blasting Sand. $8.00 for a 50 pound bag at Tractor Supply Co. I have it in several planted aquariums. I can post photos if you like. You will want med-coarse grit that will not get into the filtration system. Also a pre filter sponge is a good idea. I use 10x the water column in GPH.
Oh thanks! But like I said in the first post, I can't buy any of these brands. None of them are found here so I just wanna know what's so special about this kinda sand so I can get something like it?
Also, what kind of plants do you grow in your sand substrate?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where do you live? Blasting sand is available in any country that they sand blast in. There are different types. The type most of us use is crushed coal slag.
I grow a wide variety of plants.

_MG_9659-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_9253-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_8615-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_8721.0.jpg

_MG_9071-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_7681.0.jpg

ostadsiah

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Where do you live? Blasting sand is available in any country that they sand blast in. There are different types. The type most of us use is crushed coal slag.
I grow a wide variety of plants.

View attachment 570946

View attachment 570947

View attachment 570948

View attachment 570950

View attachment 570951

View attachment 570952
OH MY GOSH your tanks look AMAZING!!
So, you didn't have any problem with roots growing in sand? And you use root tabs like every other month?
Wow, OK. I don't think I'll have any doubts in buying sand anymore, after seeing your tanks!

ostadsiah

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I searched a lot and couldn't find any coal slag. I'll keep searching, but, can I use copper slag instead?
It kinda looks the same (even darker than coal?) and didn't find anyone on the web who has used it, and everyone says to avoid it cause copper is bad for fish and inverts. BUT, copper slag is mostly iron oxide and silicate, and less than 1% of copper, and no one seems to know actually if it leaches or not.
Has anyone here heard of someone trying copper slag?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom